April 2018 Minutes.

The Minutes of the Hollingbourne Parish Council Meeting of 9th April 2018 that were approved at the Parish Council Meeting on 14th May 2018.

Minutes of the meeting of Hollingbourne Parish Council monthly meeting held on Monday 9th April 2018, in the Cardwell Pavilion, Hollingbourne, commencing at 7.30 pm.

Present: Cllr A Ward (Vice-Chairman), Cllr J Cobbett, Cllr Dr S Bauer, Cllr D Ardley and Cllr M Gray
In attendance: Cllr Patrik Garten (Maidstone BC), Cllr Mrs Shellina Prendergast, five members of the public, and Mrs V. Smith – Parish Clerk.

1. Apologies for absence: Cllr M Bedwell (Chairman) – illness, Cllr A Bennett – clash of commitments and Cllr S Hulme – work commitments

2. Declarations and Requests
Declaration of Changes to the Register of Interests – none; Declaration of Interest in items on the Agenda – none; Requests for Dispensations – none

3. Approval of minutes of last meeting (circulated prior to meeting)
It was resolved that the minutes of the meeting on 12th March 2018 are a true and accurate record of the meeting, but the link within the County Councillors Report (11.a.) with regards to the bus services has now been placed within the Environmental Report.

4. Matters Arising (not covered elsewhere on the agenda) – none

5. Artificial Grass at the Cardwell Pavilion –
a. Three quotations have been obtained by the Parish Council for the artificial grass at the Cardwell Pavilion, and the most favourable price being £2,608.32 inc. VAT. The Pre-School have funds of £1,500 towards the project, and the Parish Council would invoice the Pre-School for this amount of money. Cllr A Ward proposed that the Parish Council should agree to fund the shortfall of £1,108.32 required towards the installation of the artificial grass at the Cardwell Pavilion. This proposal was made in accordance to the decision made by the Parish Council in the 10th July 2017 Parish Meeting (item 5.b.), the fact that the remainder of the S106 money provided by Wealden Homes (Godfrey Meadow development) can be used for the enhancement of the children’s play area and it would improve the appearance of the hall. All of the Parish Councillors in attendance agreed with the decision, and the Clerk will arrange the works to take place and write a letter to the Pre-School to confirm this decision. Action: The Clerk

6. Chairman’s Report – Cllr M Bedwell – none to report

7. Crime Report
a. Very sadly, the body of Mrs Gloria Stringer was found on the morning of 30th March 2018 in the Willington area of Maidstone following a three month search for the missing lady. The death of the lady is currently being treated as unexplained but not suspicious. The Parish Council and residents of Hollingbourne wish to extend their commiserations to Gloria’s family and friends.
b. There has been one crime report generated between the 13th March and the 9th April 2018 listed on the e-watch website for the Hollingbourne area, which was the theft of a motor vehicle outside of a residential address on Monday, 19th March between 6.20 pm and 8.30 pm in Hospital Road.
c. The Parish Council would like to urge villagers to contact the Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111 if they have information relating to crimes, or other concerns that they would like to anonymously supply to the Police. Crimestoppers is a charity which the Police use frequently. If you own a smart phone, the ‘app’ https://countryeye.co.uk/ is also a very convenient way of reporting matters and concerns to the police and the Parish Council would urge you to use this service.

8. Clerk’s Report –
a. The Clerk has been given details of a local KCC Volunteer Support Warden and she will invite them to attend a Parish Meeting to discuss their role and how a Warden may be beneficial to the Hollingbourne community. Action: The Clerk
b. The Clerk has received a request from the Parish Council of funding of £250 from a local children’s charity. Unfortunately, the Parish Council cannot assist in offering financial support on this occasion, but wanted to suggest that the charity have a stall at the village fete on the 9th June 2018. The Clerk will suggest this to the charity. Action: The Clerk
c. The Clerk circulated the Parish Council’s Press and Media Policy to the Parish Councillors, which needs to be adopted to protect the rights of the Parish Council.
d. On the matter of a defibrillator for the village, the Clerk has found out that the school would be happy to have a defibrillator on the outside of the building if there are two sets of pads within it, adult and paediatric sizes. The Clerk will also liaise with the ‘Friends of Hollingbourne Primary School’ to see if the unit could be joint funded with the Parish Council and themselves. The Clerk will pursue finalising a cost for this project. Action: The Clerk

9. Hollingbourne Village Hall Update –
a. The Village Hall Committee has arranged their AGM for the evening of Wednesday 11th April 2018 where the future of the Village Hall will be considered. Cllr A Bennett had previously advised the Clerk that he wished to attend the meeting on behalf of the Parish Council.

10. County Councillor’s Report – Cllr Mrs S Prendergast
a. It is good news that the County of Kent have been chosen by Central Government to keep 100% of business rates retention, which equates to another £10 million for Kent. A grant of £3,600,000 towards Adult Social Care has also been given to the KCC from Central Government, which will help in providing this service.
b. A further grant of £3.1m has also been received from central government to assist with the cost of potholes – our roads have really suffered during the recent bad weather – giving KCC a war chest of just under £11m to tackle this issue. A campaign called Find and Fix has been launched to locate potholes and fix them as a matter of urgency – and Cllr. Prendergast urged everyone to report any potholes they come across on the KCC website.
Cllr Ardley asked how the Find and Fix campaign works and does the maintenance company work area to area? If this is the case, it would be interesting to see where Hollingbourne is within the programmed works. Cllr M Gray said that the repair to the pot-holes is not always good and it is doubtful that the repairs will last. Cllr Prendergast advised that it is KCC Policy that contractors will not be paid for the job if the works are not carried out properly, but the KCC will only know about bad repairs if they are reported online on the KCC website. Highways England has the responsibility for the repair of pot-holes on the motorways.
c. After May 2018, Cllr Prendergast kindly advised that she may be able to help the Parish Council with the provision of a Member’s Grant if it is required for a project. The Parish Council is thankful for this opportunity and will keep this matter in mind.
d. With regards to the water leak on Eyhorne Street, outside of Godfrey House, Cllr J Cobbett advised that the KCC emergency number for road flooding is not being answered. Cllr Prendergast advised the Clerk to email Susan Laporte directly, and copy herself into the message, with regards to this matter. Action: The Clerk

11. Borough Councillor’s Report – Cllr P Garten
a. Cllr Garten will be attending the Bicknor Parish Council meeting on Monday, 16th April 2018, where the planning application for Swanton Farm, Bicknor (18/501312/FULL) will be discussed. The planning application, if approved, would include a fruit storage building with an area almost as large as a football pitch. It is felt the location for the building is not good as it is in an ‘Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty’ and there would be drastic traffic implications for the neighbouring villages because of the HGV vehicles accessing the farm. Cllr M Gray advised that there would be a Hollingbourne Parish Councillor also attending the meeting on the 16th April, as the Parish Council will need to respond to this planning application.
b. Temporary stop-orders have been placed on a gypsy site in Stockbury and another at the site near Longton Woods, known as Longton Manor, off of the A249. Fifteen online reports were filed by local residents and there will be a three day public enquiry starting on the 1st May 2018 at Maidstone Town Hall regarding the matter. Mrs Helen Grant MP is at present investigating the effectiveness of enforcement measures on Gypsy and Traveller sites, in relation to the Localism Act 2011.

12. Planning Report – Cllr M Gray
a. 18/501247/FULL – ‘The Lodge’, 2 Claygate, Hollingbourne
Proposal: Single storey rear extension (existing conservatory to be demolished).
Decision: DO NOT WISH TO OBJECT (all Parish Councillors in agreement)
b. 18/501322/FULL – Former Telephone Exchange, Ashford Road, Hollingbourne
Proposal: Conversion of former telephone exchange and erection of a single storey side extension to form a one bedroom dwelling with parking.
Decision: DO NOT WISH TO OBJECT (all Parish Councillors in agreement)
c. 18/501126/FULL – 2 New Cottage, Upper Street, Hollingbourne
Proposal: Proposed new dwelling utilising existing access arrangements to the site. Demolition of existing garage (resubmission).
Decision: DO NOT WISH TO OBJECT (4 x Parish Councillors ‘do not wish to object’, 1 x abstain).
d. 18/501312/FULL – Swanton Farm, Bicknor Road, Bicknor
Please see Borough Councillor’s Report, Item 11.a.

13. Parish Plan for Hollingbourne – nothing to report.

14. Environmental Report –
a. As previously mentioned in the County Councillor’s report, pot-holes are an ongoing problem within the village. Please report pot-holes requiring repair online with the KCC website.
b. There is an ongoing problem with fly-tipping and litter within the village. Cllr Garten advised the Clerk of the contact at Maidstone BC with regards to the supply of ‘grabber sticks’ litter pick tools, bags and high visibility clothing for residents willing to help tidy up the village. Action: The Clerk
c. The Parish Council wished to thank Cllr P Garten for arranging for the replacement bin at the entrance to Station Approach.
d. There is not a reporting facility on the Highways England website for potholes on the M20 and the Clerk will write to the Director to find out about when the repairs will take place in the locality, as this is a serious problem for road users. Action: The Clerk: Vicki

15. Cardwell Pavilion
a. There is a Pilgrimage using the Cardwell Pavilion in May 2018.

16. Highways Report (update on speeding signs) – Cllr D Ardley
a. Cllr Ardley and the Clerk met with Kent Highways on the 22nd March to discuss the speeding signs within the village and other concerns. As a result, Kent Highways have informed the Parish Council that ’20 mph’ signs are not advisory for an area which is not a ’20 mph’ zone. This is very frustrating and the Parish Council are looking for a solution to the matter. Speeding in the village was discussed and at present there is no factual evidence that there is speeding in the village. Accident statistics also do not prove that there are a high number of accidents. With this in mind a speed survey was suggested. The survey would take digital read outs of speed, and then take an 85 percentile reading of the results to be gauged. This work is not carried out by the KCC directly and the Parish Council will look at the cost of using a contractor to carry out the survey. The item will be placed on the Agenda for next month’s Parish Meeting.

17. Parish Assembly –
a. All are welcome to the Parish Assembly will be held in the Village Hall, Tuesday, 10th April 2018, 7.30 pm – 10.00 pm.

18. Parks Report (Lance Memorial Playing Field) – nothing to report.

19. Defibrillator(s) for the village – Please see the Clerk’s Report, item 8.d.

20. Off-Road Motorcyclists and Quad Bikes – Cllr M Bedwell – nothing to report.

21. Fête Report – Cllr D Ardley (please see 5.b. Chairman’s Report)
a. A date of the 9th June 2018 has been fixed for next year’s Fete and Exemption Dog Show. A Fete planning meeting is to take place on Tuesday, 24th April 2018, 8.00 pm, at The Dirty Habit PH. It is proposed that the Parish Council will run the bar at the fete this year, but they need to borrow an additional freezer for the event. If you can help, either at the fete or in providing a freezer please contact Mrs Vicki Smith, The Clerk on pchollingbourne@gmail.com, 07856 180003 or 01622 880526.
b. The Clerk will find out whether her First Aid Qualification is sufficient for the fete event, or whether it should be upgraded. If it needs to be upgraded the matter will be placed on the Agenda for the next month’s Parish Meeting.

22. Twinning with Templeuve-en-Pévèle – Cllr J Cobbett – nothing to report.

23. Financial Report –
a. There is £29,334.19 in the bank. Cllr J Cobbett proposed the approval of authorising the cheques drawn by the Clerk and all Parish Councillors voted in favour.

26. Community News –

Date of next meeting: Monday 14th May 2018, 7.30 pm, Cardwell Pavilion, Hollingbourne

Signed as a true record: Chairman: Date: