Community Action Plan (CAP)

The Parish Council has sponsored a Community Action Plan Steering Group comprised of a number of local residents under the Chairmanship of Adam Ward. The Community Action Plan highlights issues which are of concern to villagers for consideration by the Parish Council and action whenever possible. These can include affordable housing, parking, noise from the M20, speeding through the village and the failure of the Kent Highways Department to properly maintain Eyhorne Street including the pothole by the bus stop close to the Village Shop.  The pothole fills with water when it rains and passing vehicles regularly splash pedestrians and Kent Highways have been made aware of this by the Parish Council. 

Further news from the Community Action Plan Steering Group will appear on this page from time to time. Sarah Baxter is the Parish Councillor who is responsible for liaison with the Steering Group.

 

 

 

                                                                             DECEMBER 2009 

 

HOLLINGBOURNE – THE ACTION PLAN STATUS REPORT

 

Item for Action

Recommended Next Steps

Owner

Comments/Outcomes

Status

Traffic:  M20 Noise Pollution

To get noise level re-measured and press for urgent resurfacing

NA

– M20 noise has been measured by Maidstone BC and Harrietsham PC and found to be above an acceptable level. 

 

John Cobbett attended a meeting at the Highways Agency with the Chairman of Harrietsham PC on 23/04/07 . During this, it was made clear that resurfacing would be done on a political basis especially as they did not see a technical need until 2011-2 (20 years after J8-9 of the M20 was opened).

 

Based on this information the PC do not feel any further noise level re-measuring would be beneficial.

 

No further action planned.

l

Traffic: Reducing speed and volume of traffic

KCC to carry out detailed surveys of traffic types, speed and volumes at key points in the village.

Parish Council

Speed survey was conducted in July 2008.  However the results of this were pretty inconclusive.

 

Since then with the aim to move things forward, the Parish Council held a meeting with KHS on 28/09/09.  The objective was to reduce the type, quantity and speed of traffic by identifying relevant solutions. 

 

Unfortunately, it was made clear Hollingbourne will not be able to achieve any funding for any type of traffic calming measure via normal funding from KCC.  This is because our crash statistics and speed survey results were non-conclusive.  Even after the Parish Council requested KHS to review the last speed survey results to just take the speed at ‘peak time’ as there was a general feeling this was when speeding would be at it’s highest with a number of vehicles using the route as a ‘rat run’ from Sittingbourne to Hollingbourne and visa versa.  This again did not support any intervention with the average speed between 0700 – 0900 hours being 35.3Mph.  Therefore no interventions will be supported by KHS.

Therefore, the Parish Council have applied for funding via the Members Highway Fund for:. 

       Introduce ‘white posts/gates’ just after the bridge where the existing Hollingbourne signs are. 

 

       Undertake 3 speed surveys:   one just by limit change on main entrance to village, one outside Godfrey House and the other in between Greenway Court turning and the Vicarage. 

 

       Introduce a bend warning sign with chevron arrows that comes up vertically from the ground. 

 

       Introduce ‘Pedestrians on Road’ sign appropriately on Hollingbourne Hill to pre-warn of this hazard for vehicles approaching the village from this direction.

 

However, this is restricted to £5,000 and there is no guarantee of whether this application with be successful. 

 

Status – Awaiting result of application.

l

Crime: Neighbourhood Watch

Advertise for & appoint a Neighbourhood Watch Coordinator.

John Cobbett

There was no response to advert placed in Parish Magazine.  Request for Coordinator will be made in the July 2009 Minutes.   Further requests were made but due to no response, no further action is planned.

l

Crime: CCTV at station

Get costings for installing (and operating) CCTV at station area and press Network Rail/train operator to pay in full/part

John Cobbett

British Transport Police have been approached to pay for wiring for CCTV to the car park area of the station. Kent Police will make the camera available for a specific period.  Mr Stephenson suggested HPC should consider paying for the wiring if funding not agreed by the BTP.

 

CCTV installed although not in car park area.

 

l

Natural Environment: 

Expand Village Gardener Scheme.

Alan Williams

Village Gardener Scheme has been expanded and now includes Jack’s Alley.    There are 10 village gardeners. 

 

Ongoing.

l

Natural Environment:

Set up group to survey, maintain, extend and promote the footpaths and bridleways within the village.

Alan Williams

Three groups have been established to maintain and development and promote footpath networks.  One is surveying group, one is maintenance group and one is the North Downs Way National Trail Wardens.  This amounts to 12 people on total.  AW has attended a 2 day courses organised by Kent Highways – “Network Pride”. 

 

Ongoing.

l

Natural Environment:

Seek improved services from MBC (especially regarding street cleaning, drain clearage and the provision of emptying of dog mess and litter bins).

Alan Williams

Improved standards have been achieved, specifically better road cleaning.  However, this is an ongoing issue.

 

Dog bins requested but refused by MBC on grounds of cost.

 

No further action planned.

 

 

l

Natural Environment:

Plan with MBC the expansion of the Recycling Centre to include plastics, aluminium etc.

Alan Williams

MBC have no plans to provide recycling facilities for plastic in Hollingbourne, but a kerbside collection is to be provided next Spring.

 

No further action planned.

 

l

Built Environment:

Investigate costs and timescales of producing a Village Design statement.  Decision on whether to go ahead can then be made.

Adam Ward

PC are waiting for the results of a Planning Bill due in autumn which will provide clarification as to whether VDS are likely to be adopted or not as part of the councils planning process.  Likely costs will be about £6,000 and timescales @2 years (based on Detling’s VDS).  

 

As at July 2009 we are awaiting response from Planning Policy Department. 

l

Parking

Ask Governing Body and the Head Teacher (and LEA) to look urgently at restoring parking within the school grounds for staff and visitors.

Frank Stephenson

FS has discussed the parking problems with the school, who were unable to offer any safe solution to parking within their grounds. 

 

No further action planned.

 

l

Parking

Continue in the creation of a grass-creted parking area beside the Cardwell Pavilion.

NA

The proposal to “grasscrete” an area by the Cardwell Pavilion is no longer viable as the area has been given to the Pre-school for their enclosed play area.

 

No further action planned.

 

l