December 2018 Minutes.

The Minutes of the Hollingbourne Parish Council Meeting in the Cardwell Pavilion of  10th December 2018 that were approved at the Parish Council Meeting on 14th January 2019.

Minutes of the meeting of Hollingbourne Parish Council monthly meeting held on Monday 10th December 2018, in the Cardwell Pavilion, Hollingbourne, commencing at 7.30 pm.

Present: Mr A Ward (Chairman), Cllr S Hulme, Cllr J Cobbett, Cllr Dr S Bauer, Cllr Ms A Marshall & Cllr M Gray

In attendance: Cllr Patrick Garten (Maidstone BC), seven members of the Public, including the Chairman of the Wormshill Parish Meeting and Mrs V. Smith – Parish Clerk.

1. Apologies for absence: Cllr D Ardley (family commitment) and
Cllr Mrs Shellina Prendergast (KCC) – previous engagement

2. Declarations and Requests
Declaration of Changes to the Register of Interests – none; Declaration of Interest in items on the Agenda – Cllr J Cobbett is a close association of a neighbour of the people who have a planning application for The Oast House, Pilgrim’s Way (Planning Application); Requests for Dispensations – none

3. Approval of minutes of last meeting (circulated prior to meeting)
It was resolved that the minutes of the meeting on 12th November 2018 are a true and accurate record of the meeting.

4. Matters Arising (not covered elsewhere on the agenda) – none
6a. The Clerk is liaising with the contractor who mows the Lance Memorial Field to see if they can offer assistance in cutting grass around the playground, verges, etc. Action: The Clerk
7a. Cllr Gray reported back to the Parish Council that the members’ personal contributions towards Cllr Alan Bennett’s funeral reception had totalled £130, and following the return of unused beverages to the supplier, an amount of £40 remained. Cllr Gray, after consultation with Mrs Anne Bennett had agreed to return this money to the Church so that it can be divided fairly between the Hollingbourne Meadows Trust Project 100 and the All Saint’s Church. The Parish Councillors were in agreement with this proposal.
8a. Further to the agreement of the Parish Council in November 2018 to the purchase of the village defibrillator, the details of the instalment of the machine are at the present with the Headteacher of Hollingbourne Primary School. The defibrillator will be in a position on the outside wall of the school where it is available to all of the villagers. The Clerk will report back as soon as there is an update. Action: The Clerk
9b. The Fernham Homes development is now going to be called Brickfields Close, after the Maidstone BC had requested that the Parish Council, and in turn residents of Hollingbourne, had made a number of suggestions for name of the properties. The Clerk is in the process of looking into S106 documents relating to the development, with a view to finding out when contributions can be released to assist in refurbishing the play-ground and the Lance Memorial Field. Action: The Clerk
10g. The matter of the removal of litter from private land backing onto the Meadows Trust open spaces as it could be a public health / nuisance issue with now with the Environmental Department, Maidstone BC.
12b. Cllr Ward is in the process of contacting the Parish Council’s insurance company to see how much full cover for the Millennium Park might be. Action: Cllr A Ward

5. Police Report – (via email)
a. Report for the Hollingbourne area taken from www.e-watch.co showed one crime report taken 12th November – 10th December 2018:
• On the M20 (Maidstone Services), between 10:30 pm on Sunday 18th of November and 6:00 am on Monday 19th November – Goods possibly stolen from Lorry. Crime Reference no. 46/7935/18.

The Police UK web site reported ten other crimes taking place in Hollingbourne in October 2018:
• Criminal damage and arson on or near Claygate, where a suspect has been identified but could not be prosecuted for one of a number of reasons, such as: insufficient evidence; the prosecution time limit having expired; the named suspect being below the age of criminal responsibility; the victim or witness is dead or too ill to give evidence; the victim declining or being unable to support the police investigation further; or the person has died.
• A public order offence on or near Upper Street, where a suspect has been identified but could not be prosecuted for the identical reasons stated as before for the crime in or near Claygate.
• Eight offences took place on or near the Petrol Station (Junction 7 Services), one of which was criminal damage and arson, one of which was vehicle crime, another of violence and sexual offences and a further five categorised as ‘other theft’. In each case there is insufficient evidence to bring anyone to justice at this time. The investigation may be reopened if more information becomes available.
c. The Parish Council would like to urge villagers to contact the Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111 if they have information relating to crimes, or other concerns that they would like to anonymously supply to the Police. Crimestoppers is a charity which the Police use frequently. If you own a smart phone, the ‘app’ https://countryeye.co.uk/ is also a very convenient way of reporting matters and concerns to the police and the Parish Council would urge you to use this service.

6. Highways – Parking in passing points along Pilgrim’s Way / Broad Street (Cllr D Ardley / Public)
a. This item will be placed on next month’s agenda.

7. Chairman’s Report – Cllr A Ward – nothing to report, which is not already noted within the minutes.

8. Clerk’s Report –
a. The white finger-post at the top of Hollingbourne Hill needs to be replaced, following its damage and disappearance at the time of the snowy weather earlier in 2018. Simon Bass, Chairman of the Wormshill Parish Meeting, has contacted Cllr Mrs Shellina Prendergast (KCC) and the Clerk with regards to the replacement. The KCC Highways were planning to replace the post with a white standard metal sign, but it really needs to be a white wooden post because it is twinned with the black post near Wormshill, It is also an important geographical mark on the ordnance survey maps for the North Downs area, which is regularly used by walkers and those orienteering like the young people working towards their Duke of Edinburgh awards. Quotations have been obtained by the Clerk for the replacement with one of the estimates being supplied via the KCC for a wooden finger-post. The Parish Council would like to find out what funding is available from the KCC towards the post, as it is street furniture which should be predominately KCC responsibility as well as knowing how much the KCC would have been ready to pay for a white metal post. A difference in the two estimates can then be compared and a suitable monetary contribution sought from the KCC. The Wormshill Parish Meeting is limited in how much contribution they can make, as they do not receive a precept payment from the Maidstone BC, but Mr Bass is prepared to see if the Wormshill residents can help out financially.
b. The village sign, which was refurbished by the Parish Council approximately four years ago, is going to be repaired by two kind and helpful residents within Hollingbourne. The Parish Council would like to thank them for their help.

9. County Councillor’s Report – Cllr Mrs S Prendergast –
a. Cllr Mrs Prendergast is in receipt of a letter from a gentleman who is very concerned about the matter of the Woodcut Farm warehouse development site and its access to the site from the A20 and will comment in due course. Please see the link http://www.hollingbournepc.kentparishes.gov.uk/open-letter-to-local-kcc-councillor-about-likely-problems-with-access-to-woodcut-farm-warehouse-development-site/ .

10. Borough Councillor’s Report – Cllr Patrik Garten
a. There is a call for Garden Village sites coming up at the end of February 2019, when the Maidstone BC look to review the Local Plan.
b. The planning application for a cold store and additional works 18/501312/FULL, Swanton Farm, Bicknor obtained planning permission. Hollingbourne Parish Council has concerns over the additional heavy vehicles used at the site driving through the village although Cllr Garten stressed that this will not be the case, as arrangements had been made for vehicles being used by the site will access the main roads, for example the A249, via roads in Stockbury, such as Pett Lane, therefore not travelling through Hollingbourne. The regularity of the HGV vehicles accessing Swanton Farm should be unobtrusive as only fruit produced from the farm is going to be transported from the site.
c. Please see Cllr Garten’s latest newsletter on the Parish website http://www.hollingbournepc.kentparishes.gov.uk/december-2018-newsletter-from-our-borough-councillor/ where the Strategic Plan is highlighted. Current Consultations can be found at:
http://www.maidstone.gov.uk/home/primary-services/council-and-democracy/additional-areas/have-your-say/tier-3-primary-areas/current-consultations

11. Planning Committee Report – Cllr A Ward
a. 18/505762/FULL & 18/505763/LBC – Greenway Court, Greenway Court Road, Hollingbourne
Proposal: Proposed new 4-bay garage block with workshop and log store.
Decision: The Parish Council did not vote on this application, as the final date for comments (5.12.18) had passed, and the drawings had not been received by the Clerk).
b. 18/506075/FULL – The Oast House, Pilgrim’s Way, Hollingbourne
Proposal: Proposed single storey rear extension with roof lights / roof lantern and internal alterations, conversion of basement with connecting single storey side extension. Alterations to fenestration along South East elevation. Landscape enhancement throughout the site with planting of native species trees and hedgerows. (Revision to 18/501600/FULL). Decision: DO NOT WISH TO OBJECT (All Parish Councillor’s in favour, except for Cllr Cobbett who abstained as he had a declaration of interest in the application).
c. 18/506154/FULL – 6 Bank Cottages, Pilgrim’s Way, Hollingbourne
Proposal: Erection of a part two storey, part single storey side extension with internal alterations to provide a 4 bedroom cottage. (Resubmission of 18/504777/FULL)
Decision: DO NOT WISH TO OBJECT
d. 18/506238/FULL – Esso Petroleum, Maidstone Services, M20
Proposal: Proposed new extension to side elevation. Decision: DO NOT WISH TO OBJECT

12. Environmental Committee Report –
a. The Clerk has been advised by the Leeds Castle Foundation that the fireworks to be used in the New Year are a special silent variety, which is good news for the residents of Hollingbourne. It is possible that the ignition of the fireworks had taken place in a different position of the Castle grounds over the time of the November celebrations, and together with the weather’s wind direction, it could have made the noise of the fireworks louder in Hollingbourne this year than previously. Cllr Gray asked whether it would be useful to meet up with Leeds Castle to discuss maintaining good relationships, in unison with neighbouring Parish Councils. The Parish Councillors were in agreement with this suggestion and the Clerk will pursue this matter. Action: The Clerk
b. Highways England has brought in floodlights to the back of some of the properties along the Ashford Road / Park Gate area, for works relating to Operation Brock. The works take place at night leading to light and noise pollution for the long suffering residents. It is feared that the strengthening and widening of the motorway hard shoulder for Operation Brock may have breached a covenant agreement on the land of one of the properties, resulting in the motorway being too close to the people’s homes, and without any previous consultation. The residents have been in contact with Mrs Helen Whately MP and Mr Tom Tugendhat MP whose constituents are similarly affected by work on the M26 for Operation Brock. They have also contacted the Right Honourable Chris Grayling, Secretary of State for Transport to complain about the disturbance and suggestions that the works go beyond the previously agreed limits of the M20. Please see the link http://www.hollingbournepc.kentparishes.gov.uk/ashford-road-residents-kept-awake-at-night-by-work-for-operation-brock-on-the-m20/

13. Finance Committee Report – Cllr J Cobbett
a. Details of the 2019/20 precept have been received by the Clerk from Maidstone BC. A Finance Committee Meeting will be held on Tuesday, 8th January 2019 to finalise the amount of money required by the Parish Council, which needs to be submitted to Maidstone BC by the end of January. Cllr Cobbett indicated that the Council is likely to have substantial reserves at the end of the financial year barring any unforeseen events and that he would be reluctant to support any material change in the Parish Precept without any good reason. The Parish Councillors were advised to forward the Clerk their requests for
specific items for the village before the Finance Meeting for their consideration.
b. There is £39,161.82 in the Parish Council’s combined bank accounts. Cllr J Cobbett and the Councillors present authorised the cheques drawn by the Clerk.

14. Highways and Infrastructure Committee Report (Speed Watch) –
a. The Clerk has been in contact with Parish Clerks from neighbouring villages and one of them is keen to also start a Speedwatch Group, which could potentially enable Hollingbourne to share the costs of the Speedwatch equipment with them. This proposal will need to be agreeable with the neighbouring Parish Councillors and the Clerk hopes to have further information in the next few months. Action: The Clerk / Cllr D Ardley

15. Parks Committee Report – Cllr A Ward / Cllr A Marshall
a. Cllr Marshall confirmed that the pathways and pond in the Millennium Green will have maintenance works carried out in the Spring of 2019.
b. Cllr Marshall has planted the new tree, of the species Amelanchier Robin Hill, on the Tanyard Green, replacing the one that had died and needed to be removed. The tree was also planted as a memorial to Cllr Alan Bennett, and the Clerk is sourcing a wooden stake and plaque for this purpose.
Action: The Clerk

16. Fête Sub-Committee Report – Cllr D Ardley & Cllr A Ward
a. The next Fete meeting will be held in The Sugar Loaves PH, on Monday, 7th January 2019 at 8.00 pm and new volunteers will be welcome. In the meantime, the Clerk will order the toilets for the event and send invitations to tender to the public houses in the village for the provision of a bar at the fete.

17. Twinning Sub-Committee Report – Cllr J Cobbett –
a. A Twinning Committee meeting took place on Monday, 26th November, as Hollingbourne and Templeuve are willing to keep the relationship active. Cllr Cobbett is waiting for a further update from contacts in Templeuve.

Date of next meeting: Monday 14th January 2019, 7.30 pm, Cardwell Pavilion, Hollingbourne

Signed as a true record: Chairman: