January 2013 Minutes.

Minutes of the meeting of Hollingbourne Parish Council

held on in the Cardwell Pavilion on 14th January 2013 commencing at 7.30pm

 

Present:  Mr Bedwell (Chairman), Mr A Ward (Vice Chairman), Mr D Ardley, Dr Bauer,

Mr Bennett, Mr Cobbett (with apologies for late arrival due to conflict of meetings),

Mr F Stephenson, Mr P Waite.

 

Also in attendance: Ms E Lawrence (Clerk), Mrs D Parvin, Borough Councillor,

PCSO de Burca

 

 

1.      Apologies for absence Mrs J Whittle County Councillor

 

2.      Declaration of Interests and amendments to Register of Interests

 

3.      Co-option       Mr Peter Waite was welcomed as a co-opted member and was wished a continued recovery from his injuries which had prevented him from previous attendance.  The Clerk issued paperwork which was duly signed and returned, although Mr Waite was advised to abstain from voting during this meeting.

 

4.      Approval of minutes of last meeting  (Circulated prior to meeting)

 

It was resolved that the minutes were a true and accurate record of the meeting and they were duly signed by the Chairman.

 

5.      Matters Arising (not covered elsewhere on the agenda)

 

Mr Bennett reported on his meeting with Mrs Whittle and Richard Emmett from Kent Highways.  It was agreed that some of the pavements and kerbsides are in a poor state of repair and have been listed as a priority for remedial work.  The Clerk mentioned the old block paving which runs from Foxgrove House to Cotuams which is very uneven and if repaired is likely to be replaced with tarmac.  Members agreed the priority is safety, but historical features should be retained where possible.

 

6.      Chairman’s Report

 

Mr Bedwell wished everyone a Happy New Year and reported:

–           The mother of a fourteen year old girl who had sought shelter under the Cardwell Pavilion porchway during a heavy downpour of rain complained to the Chairman that a user of the Pavilion at the time ordered the girl to go away, which the mother objected to and thought unreasonable.  Whilst agreeing in principle, members felt the issue should be resolved between the Pavilion hirer and the girl and her mother, but wished to point out that the Pavilion and grounds are there for all and unless paying for hire of field and hall together, hirers do not have exclusive rights to bar anyone else from using the grounds.

 

–           Mr Bedwell expressed thanks to Mr Cobbett for his efforts and perseverance in gaining agreement from MBC to allocate funds to pay for street lighting in the recent cessation of Concurrent Funds grants. It was resolved that the Clerk should ask MBC for the amount of their reserves under the Freedom of Information Act.

 

–          Twinning. Mr Bedwell reported on this matter and proposed that Hollingbourne should formally twin with Templeuve.  Very little financial support would be needed, and eventually the two communities would arrange activities themselves without Parish Council input. Some European funding support is being looked into. A sub-group is needed in much the same way as the Fete group, and this could be advertised in the Parish Magazine and on the website.  Formal signing has been provisionally arranged for Monday 11 March and Monday 18th March.

Mr Bedwell proposed that Hollingbourne should proceed and twin with Templeuve, seconded by Mr Bennett and carried.  Mr Bennett to arrange publicity.

 

7.      Neighbourhood Plan

 

Mr Stephenson pointed out that his involvement had come about as he had attended an event on this subject.  Mr Bennett and Mr Waite agreed to meet and look into this further.

 

8.      Crime Update

 

PCSO de Burca reported that there was little change in the rate of crime generally with only 23 crimes in the North Downs Ward as a whole.  There were 5 crimes in Hollingbourne in December, being theft of fuel (x 2), theft of a vehicle, theft form a property, assault and arson.

In response to Mr Cobbett’s enquiry, PCSO de Burca was not aware of any planned visit from the Police Commissioner.  It was resolved that the Clerk invite Mrs Barnes to attend the AGM as she had stated her intent to be out and about in the community in her election manifesto.

The Clerk read an email she had received regarding parked vehicles at the junction of Musket Lane and Eyhorne Street which have prevented the collection of milk from the farm and PCSO de Burca explained the police position.  As a rural community, Members expressed the hope that people would park considerately, acknowledging the lack of parking spaces generally, but the Council has no powers other than suggest to the collection company concerned that Hollingbourne is a small community with narrow lane access and appropriately sized lorries should be used.  Mr Ardley pointed out that regardless of yellow lines or not, no-one had the right to impede the free passage of vehicles on the highway.

 

 

 

9.      Clerk’s Report

 

The Clerk read an email she had received regarding parked vehicles at the junction of Musket Lane and Eyhorne Street which have prevented the collection of milk from the farm and PCSO de Burca explained the police position.  As a rural community, Members expressed the hope that people would park considerately, acknowledging the lack of parking spaces generally, but the Council has no powers other than suggest to the collection company concerned that Hollingbourne is a small community with narrow lane access and appropriately sized lorries should be used.  Mr Ardley pointed out that regardless of yellow lines or not, no-one had the right to impede the free passage of vehicles on the highway.

A letter had been received again asking for the Parish Council’s input to a housing scheme on land opposite Godfrey House.  The Clerk to respond, pointing out that the Council would support affordable, appropriate developments rather than “exclusive, director-style” homes.

 

A request for a donation to a relatively new charity had been received, named “Help a Maidstone Child” The Clerk stated that she is a Panel member for this charity.  Mr Cobbett proposed a donation of £50.00, seconded by Mr Ward and carried.  A brief discussion ensued regarding charitable donations and members agreed to respond to each individual request on a case by case basis, local charities receiving special attention.

 

The Clerk gave feedback on her recent feedback from Kent Highways about weight restrictions on the Bourne Bridge. Mr Ardley agreed to pursue the possibility of a limit being imposed on environmental grounds

.

10.  Borough Councillor Report

 

Mrs Parvin gave feedback on MBC’s Core Strategy and the imposition by government for more housing than was originally thought.

She drew the attention of Members to a charity named The Relief in Need, and also to the Cutbush and Coral Housing Association.

 

11.  Planning Report

 

 

Application Number

Reason

Address

PC decision

MBC Decision

TA/0120/12

The Vicarage

Upper Street

ME17 1UJ

 

Application to fell x1 sycamore

 

RNO

Not decided on website  No reply to email asking if decision has been made.

 

MA/12/1885

53 Eyhorne Street

Hollingbourne

Variation of condition 4 of Planning Permission MA/11/1494

Erection of a single storey side extension, a two storey rear extension

DNWTO

Approved

MA/12/2175

The Malthouse

Upper Street

ME17 1UW

Replacement Garage doors

WTA

 

MA/12/1478

Olde England Cottage

Ashford Road

Part retrospective, part full application to erect boundary fence

WTA

 

 

WTA = Wish to approve

DNWTO = Do Not Wish To Object

RNO = Raise No Objection

TBA = To Be Announced

 

The Council had an application for an Environmental Impact assessment drawn to their attention for a development to be known as Waterside Park.  This application has not been received by the Parish Council at this point.  It would appear it is for industrial warehousing on the land between the Great Danes Hotel and the Biffa site.  Consternation was expressed that, given the use of public money to defeat the KIG proposal so comparatively recently, another proposal has been made.  To await notification by MBC and respond accordingly.

 

12.  Environmental Report

 

Dr Bauer reported an increase in rat infestation in the village.  An article in the Parish Magazine was agreed to alert residents.

 

13.  Finance Report

It was resolved to sign the cheques for expenditure, a list of which had been circulated prior to the meeting.   In light of the deficit for the forthcoming year caused by the cessation of the Concurrent Funding grant by MBC, Mr. Cobbett proposed raising the precept by 10%, seconded by Mr. Stephenson and carried unanimously.  A meeting of the Finance Committee was arranged for 28th January at 10.00am.

 

14.   Parks Report

 

Mr Ward reported that moss had been cleared from the back roof of the Pavilion, which revealed defects in the roof valleys.  The kitchen taps to be repaired/replaced.

A boiler service has been arranged.  Shrinkage of soft surface in the play area was noted – to be repaired.

 

15.  Fete Report

Mr Cobbett confirmed the next Fete meeting on 28th January at 8pm.

 

16.  Items for Information

 

A meeting has been arranged at Leeds Castle to discuss the problems of low speed broadband, Mr Cobbett and the Clerk to attend.

 

Date of next meeting

 

 

11 February at 19.30 in the Cardwell Pavilion.

 

 

 

 

Signed as a true record:

 

 

……………………………

Chairman.

 

Date……………………….