Minutes of the meeting of Hollingbourne Parish Council
held on 8th March 2010 in The Cardwell Pavilion at 7.30pm.
Present: Mr M Bedwell (Chairman), Mr J Cobbett (Vice-Chairman), Mr G Bryan, Mr F Stephenson, , Mr A Williams.
Also in attendance: Ms E Lawrence (Clerk), Mrs J Whittle County Councillor.
1. Apologies for absence were received from Mr A Ward (work commitment).
2. Declaration of Interests and amendments to Register of Interests
There were no declarations of interest.
There were no amendments to the Register of Interests.
3. Approval of minutes of last meeting (Circulated prior to meeting)
It was resolved that the minutes were a true and accurate record of the meeting and that they should be accepted and signed by the Chairman.
4. Matters Arising (not covered elsewhere on the agenda)
Mr Stephenson reported that no further progress has been made regarding the cleaning responsibilities review of the Cardwell Pavilion, but that the matter is on-going and that he will see the regular users in turn.
5. County Councillors report
Mrs. Whittle has been in communication with the CEO of South Eastern Rail regarding the lack of CCTV coverage at Hollingbourne station, and despite a slow response, the matter will be reviewed. [Council members re-iterated that it was the fact that it is well known through the media publicity
that there is no coverage which causes concern and which could attract crime and anti-social behaviour].
Kent Highways are struggling to keep up with the demand for road repairs following the damage caused by the winter weather. Tenders have been sent out to small local firms to support the KH teams and work should commence as from 1 April.
The need for more salt bins (Big Allington and Hollingbourne Hill) was emphasised. Mr Williams pointed out that damage has also been caused to several of the verges in the village (opposite the School, opposite Coachman’s Cottage, past Eyhorne Street/Greenway Court Road junction etc.); also road signs following road works are being left lying in the hedgerows. An invitation to Earl Bourner to pay a site visit was agreed.
6. Borough Councillors report Nil received
7. Chairman’s Report The Chairman highlighted the recently circulated External Funding newsletter, para 155. This gave details of funding sources for buildings and sport facilities. He proposed a joint group comprising Parks and Finance members work together with a view to making a bid for further improvements to the Cardwell Pavilion and/or other previously mentioned fitness-for-all items.
Mr Bedwell invited Mr Cobbett to inform the Council of the progress to date in contacting the landowners with responsibility for the maintenance and upkeep of “Windmill Lane” which is in disrepair. Mr Cobbett reported on the exchanges which had taken place between the landowners/main users of the Lane to date. Quotations are being sought for resurfacing the Lane. It was agreed that the Clerk locate a copy of the Village Hall Lease in case this also contained relevant details.
8. Finance Committee
It was resolved to approve the expenditure (previously circulated). Mr Cobbett outlined the proposed budget agreed by the Finance Committee.
9. Clerk’s Report The clerk asked for clarification of hiring the LM Field and facilities within the Pavilion, as she had received enquiries for a private function. It was agreed that music should cease at 10.30pm and all insurances re marquee hiring, erection and dismantling etc should rest with the hirer.
The Clerk drew Members attention to the provisions regarding notifications to Parish Councils concerning complaints about Members and the Standards Committee written in January 2010, which makes it clear that Parish Councils MUST be informed that a complaint has been made, and of any findings (hard copies available on request).
Attention was drawn to the increased costs of electricity supplies for streetlighting and
broadband provision for the Clerk. It was agreed the Clerk could change providers if a suitable and more cost effective one could be found.
10. Parks Committee The gate to the Lance Memorial Field and Cardwell Pavilion will be locked from dusk commencing mid-April. The CCTV film of the vehicle which caused damage to the field has been made available to the Police for further scrutiny and possible action.
11. Planning Report No planning applications were received by the Planning Committee since the last meeting.
12. Environmental Report
13. Parish Assembly A discussion took place regarding the format for this year’s assembly. Clerk to invite local groups to give brief presentations on their activities and plans for the forthcoming year. Clerk to arrange refreshments.
14. KIG Update – nothing further to report; a decision is awaited.
15. Fete 2010 Mr Bryan reported on the last meeting of the Fete Steering group. The next meeting will take place on 17th March. He confirmed that the 3 public houses in the village were invited to tender for running the bar for the day and evening events.
16. Items for information Nil
Date of next meeting
NB. This will be a brief meeting before the Parish Assembly, commencing at 7.30pm
13 April 2010 at 7.00pm in The Village Hall