May 2012 Minutes.

 Minutes of the (re-convened)AGM

and meeting of Hollingbourne Parish Council

held on 14th May 2012 in the Cardwell Pavilion at 7.30pm

 

Present:  Mr M Bedwell (Chairman) Mr A Ward (Vice-Chairman), Dr S Bauer,

Mr F Stephenson, Mr A Williams

 

Also in attendance: Ms E Lawrence (Clerk), Mrs D Parvin Borough Councillor and

four members of the public

 

The AGM was reconvened:

Elections  

All members signed their acceptance of office forms, and register of interest forms were also circulated for completion and return to the clerk.

a)      Mr M Bedwell was proposed as Chairman by Mr Williams, seconded by Dr Bauer and elected unanimously (and unopposed).  Mr Bedwell then chaired the meeting..  The meeting then resumed.

b)      Mr Ward was elected as Vice-Chair, pending co-option.

c)      The following Committee membership was agreed:

Environment:  Dr Bauer/Mr Williams

Finance:           Mr Cobbett/Mr Stephenson

Parks:              Mr Ward/Mr Bedwell

Planning:         Mr Stephenson /Dr Bauer

(the first named being Chairman of each Committee)

 

The two Councillor vacancies will be advertised as available for co-option.

 

Reports were received from the past Chairs of Committees:

 

Mr Stephenson: Planning.  During the past year all recommendations made by the Parish Council were reflected in the decisions made by the Borough Councils Planning Department.  Mr Stephenson emphasised that a Do not wish to Object vote is not “sitting on the fence”, but rather that the application appeared to be in keeping or present no discord with the village as a whole.  It was then up to MBC to ensure that planning rules and regulations were in order.

 

Dr Bauer: Environment.  Dr Bauer expressed disappointment in the overall appearance of the village during the past year.  Litter remains a constant problem especially at the A20 entrance to the village.  Street cleaning appears to be minimal and hedge cutting and verge maintenance reduced.  However the new signage and white gates are a great improvement, as is the reduction of HGV traffic through the village. The addition of the acquired land and its acre by the Meadows Trust is a huge bonus to the village in all aspects.

 

Mr Ward: Parks.  Mr Ward explained that 2011/12 had been a relatively quiet year with the emphasis on maintaining the Pavilion and assets as they are.  Progress on the legal aspects of the Millennium Green has been disappointingly slow. It is hoped that pond clearance will be undertaken in the year ahead.  Future developments/improvements will depend upon the funding available from the new Parishes Scheme. 

 

The AGM concluded, the normal Parish meeting resumed.

 

1.                                                                                          Apologies for absence     Mr D Ardley,        work commitment

      Mrs S O’Connell,  work commitment

      Mrs J Whittle,      work commitment       

      Mr J Cobbett,        meeting clash – hopes to join late.

      PCSO de Burca    working elsewhere

 

2.                                          Declaration of Interests and amendments to Register of Interests 

 

None. 

 

3.                                          Approval of minutes of last meeting

 

Mr Bedwell proposed that the draft minutes were a true and accurate record of the meeting and that they should be accepted, seconded by Mr Ward and agreed by all present.  The Chairman duly signed the minutes.

 

4.                                          Matters Arising (not covered elsewhere on the agenda)

 

 Concurrent functions grant withdrawal and implementation of the Parishes Scheme:  The Clerk informed members of the implementation timetable and read the reply she had received regarding service levels and standards. Members remained dissatisfied that parishes had not been consulted on an individual basis, but rather third party representation had been made through KALC.

 

 

Mr Stephenson confirmed that he will attend the next meeting and Mr ward expressed that the new scheme may provide cost effective opportunities, but that the timetable as described left very little time to prepare for negotiations.  Mrs Parvin requested to be kept informed of developments from the parish perspective.

 

The meeting was adjourned to allow for public participation and then resumed.

 

5.                  Chairman’s Report  

 

The chairman expressed his regret that led by the government, Maidstone Borough Council saw fit to allocate some £1.3m for the further development of Gypsy and Traveller sites, and rather than penalise rural parishes, savings could have been made by utilisation of that money.

The road ‘bridge’ over the Bourne appears not to have a weight limit, according to KCCs Traffic Engineer, who recommended waiting for the Freight Transport Strategy details to emerge before investigating/acting further.  Mr Bedwell felt this to be entirely unsatisfactory.  The Clerk had already written to Mrs Whittle asking that she ensured Kent Highways understood that there was no intention to disadvantage those with legitimate business to be using HGVs through the village, namely predominantly the farming community.  Action: Clerk to write to Kent Highways expressing concern over the safety aspects of the road and urging no further delays in taking positive action by declaring a maximum weight limit.

Mr Bedwell reported that rubbish had been dumped in Greenway Court road and that the rubbish included a parking ticket with a vehicle registration number clearly legible. The matter had been reported to the police.

Mr Bedwell reported that a bicycle had been stolen from his property, but that he had excellent service from the local PCSOs. 

 

6.         Crime Report    The Clerk read the crime report received from PCSO de Burca, which included the theft of a bicycle, theft of plant machinery, theft of a ride on mower and eight instances of making off without payment from J8 M20 motorway services.  Advice on shed security provided by PCSO de Burca would be submitted by the Clerk for publication in the Parish Magazine

 

7                  Clerk’s Report   The Clerk gave detail from Kent Highways on the installation of an interactive speed sign and its location.  A letter drop will be made to residents of Eyhorne Street.  All other matters covered elsewhere on the agenda.

 

 

8.         Planning Report       

 

There were no new applications to consider.  Mr Stephenson drew Members attention to the refurbishment of The Windmill public house.  The building is Grade 2 listed.  Mr Stephenson has clarified with MBC that no application for alterations has been received and has left a message for Mr Phillips to make contact.  It was resolved to authorise Mr Stephenson to pursue this matter.

 

 

APPLICATION

 NUMBER

Reason

Address

PC

decision

MBC Decision

MA/11/2186

Erection of replacement Summer House

Foxgrove House

30 Eyhorne Street

ME17 1TR

DNWTO

Approved

MA/12/0450

Replacement windows

Poste Cottage

27 Eyhorne Street

ME17 1TR

WTA

tba

MA/12/0451

Listed building consent for MA/12/0450 (above)

Poste Cottage

27 Eyhorne Street

ME17 1TR

WTA

tba

MA/12/0469

Retrospective application for woodstore

Acorn Cottage

Pilgrims Way

ME17 1RB

DNWTO

Approved

WTA = Wish to approve

DNWTO = Do Not Wish To Object

RNO = Raise No Objection

TBA = To Be Announced

 

Mr Cobbett joined the meeting at 8.40pm, and made a declaration of interest regarding the Windmill public house as he is an immediate neighbour.

 

9.         Finance Report         It was resolved to approve the expenditure (previously circulated) and the cheques were duly signed. 

 

10.       Environment Report  Nil to report.

 

11.       Parks Report   Mr Ward reported again that MBC still have sign the Deed of Rectification for the Millennium Green so the lease has yet to be transferred, and asked for Mrs Parvin to bear influence.

            Mr Ward is keen to see MBCs “price list” for the Parishes Scheme which should help prepare a meaningful budget in the future.

            Gratitude was expressed towards Mrs Johnstone for alerting the PC to a fallen tree, which has been cleared by MR Dennett.  The Council also thanked him for his help.

Mr Ward is waiting for a third quote for a new notice board, which is likely to be in the region of £1300.  It was suggested that perhaps Mr Cheetham would make a bespoke one, and/or sponsorship be sought.

The Messy Church had been a great success and Rev Fry wished to use the Cardwell Pavilion for a further three sessions.  It was resolved to allow this at no fee, as has been the case for new groups in the past in order to support their establishment. (Mr. Cobbett abstained from this decision as he is a member of the PCC)

A maintenance contract will be raised for the CCTV equipment.

 

12.       County Councillors Report     Nothing additional.

 

13.       Borough Councillors Report     Mrs Parvin undertook to see who would be the best person within MBC to help with the Broadband application.  She advised that, in the event of this being successful, adequate arrangements are made to ensure that individual parishes are not invoiced for the work, or the Audit Commission will increase their fee disproportionately.  This has happened to other parishes.

 

 

14.                   Fete 2012   Mr Cobbett updated members on progress.  Three judges, all born in Hollingbourne in 1952, have been found. The next planning is on 21st May at 8.00pm in The Dirty Habit. 

 

 

15.       Items for Information           Mr Bedwell thanked Mrs Johnstone for bringing to his attention the plight of many older people who cannot access public transport, do not drive and are reliant on either Hollingbourne Helpers or friends and neighbours to get them to GP surgeries.  GPs no longer make home visits as a general rule and this can lead to delays in treatment.

 

 

Date of next meeting
 

Monday 11th June 2012 at 7.30pm in the Cardwell Pavilion.

 

                       

 

 

Signed as a true record:

 

 

……………………………

Chairman.

 

Date……………………….