May 2013 Minutes.

Minutes of the meeting of Hollingbourne Parish Council

held on in the Cardwell Pavilion on Monday 13th May 2013

commencing at 7.30pm  

 

Present:  Mr Bedwell, Mr Bennett, Mr Ardley, Mr Waite, Mr Ward, Mrs Parvin (Borough Councillor) PCSOs Be Burca-Ousby and Rowley and two members of the public.

 

1.      Absent with apology:            Mr Cobbett (clash of commitments)

Mrs Askew (unwell)

Mrs Jenny Whittle

Absent without apology:       Dr Bauer

 

2.      Declarations and Requests

Declaration of Changes to the Register of Interests – none

 Declaration of Interest in items on the Agenda – Mr Bedwell – planning app 13/0510

       Mr Ardley – Planning app 13/0514

 Requests for Dispensations – none

 

3.      Approval of minutes of last meeting  (Circulated prior to meeting)

 

It was resolved that the minutes were a true and accurate record of the meeting and they were duly signed by the Chairman.

 

4.      Matters Arising (not covered elsewhere on the agenda)

 

–         The works undertaken to address water pouring across Greenway Court Road has improved the situation greatly, but it was noted that the road remains wet. The Council will continue to monitor the situation.

–         It was noted that feedback regarding the new arrangements for recycling and a report back from the meeting with the school is outstanding.

–         Mr Cobbett was thanked for his continued work in addressing the situation regarding the out of date BT equipment providing telephony services to the people of Hollingbourne, and residents are urged to sign the e-petition which has been started.  Action: The Clerk to write to MP Mr Hugh Robertson urging him to take the matter further.

–         Two residents have come forward to help formulate a Neighbourhood Plan

–             The Public Right of Way (PRoW) from the end of Musket Lane to the M20 service station to be reported to KCC as the fencing has been knocked down permitting direct access to the high speed line

 

5.      Chairman’s Report    

 

Mr Bedwell thanked those who turned up to help repair the entrance to the Lance Memorial Field.  The area has been filled with a substantial amount of infill covered with topsoil and regrassed.  Remaining topsoil will be used to infill the gap around the soft play surface and grass seed applied.

The chairman proposed that the recent request from English heritage to register the War Memorial as a listed monument was agreed.  Carried unanimously.  The Clerk asked for an overhanging branch to be addressed as some names are being obscured by staining.  Action: letter to Mr DudleyWright.

 

6.      Crime Update           

 

PCSO de Burca Ousby reported that there had been 5 reported crimes in Hollingbourne during the preceding month – 3 of which were making off without payment at the service station, 1 taking of a vehicle without the owners consent and 1 possession of a controlled substance.

A police vehicle to attend the fete is planned.

Predictive policing – whereby planned foot patrols are allocated in relation to crime – has been introduced.  This will mostly affect the town centre, although it may well be that on occasions residents will see the PCSOs on foot in the rural areas.

 

7.      Clerk’s Report    The Clerk had received a forwarded letter to Hugh Robertson advising of works being undertaken to allow for CCTV coverage on the M20 from J8 to J11. This is part of a £217.5m programme to relieve “pinch points” on the strategic road network to stimulate local economic growth, relieve congestion and improve safety.  The Council are of the opinion that better CCTV coverage will be used for Operation Stack.

All other matters covered elsewhere on the agenda.

 

8.      Street Lighting

 

The street light need upgrading before KCC will undertake to pay after next year.  Although the lamps and columns are regularly checked by a contracted company and are deemed safe, they no longer conform to KCC standards. The bill would be              c £49,000.00 which the Parish Council simply cannot afford.  There followed a wide ranging debate, including the very real possibility of turning off the lights, as MBC are no longer including street lighting in their Parish Services scheme after next year.  It was noted the disadvantage and negative effect this option would have on the public at large but especially the older generation and those with disabilities. 

It was also noted that KCC themselves are reducing the amount of street lighting they will provide, as reported in the Downs Mail.  It was also noted that the columns are not spaced according to current rules for designation of a 30mph speed limit.

Action: Mr Ardley to draft letter.

9.      Borough Councillor Report             Mrs Parvin reported on the “Living Land” which had included 2600 children from local parishes.  She noted that Hollingbourne was not represented.  Play areas in urban areas which receive little use will be maintained as Open Spaces in future.  A grant of up to £10,000 over 4 years  is available under the Parish services scheme.  Action Clerk to pursue/apply and to ascertain if play areas inspections will continue.

 

 

10.  Finance Report

 It was resolved that the cheques should be signed, a list of cheques to be issued for expenditure having been circulated prior to the meeting.

 

 

Environmental Report          nil.

 

It was noted that members of the British Legion are willing to help with any work necessary at the War Memorial.   Responsibility for railway bridge clearance needed as overgrowth noted. Action: Clerk

 

11.  Planning Report

 

Mr Bennett reported on the presentation he had attended re Neighbourhood Plans at Harrietsham, which had been well attended.

The recent call for sites was intended to identify any areas which may be suitable for development, and those sites would then be inspected to ascertain potential.  It was hoped this would avoid compulsory purchases or other impositions. Please see attached for decisions reached.

 

 

12.  Parks Report 

 

–         It was noted that re-growth at the Millennium Pond has been prolific.

Mr Ward reported that bio options that will not harm fish etc are being sought.

–         Paperwork still awaited form MBC. 

–         Mr Cheetham has confirmed he will make a new notice board. This will be placed near the bus stop by the church.  Another to be purchased for the footpath by the school.

 

13.  Fete Report

 

It was noted that Mr Cobbett and the fete Planning group appeared to have everything well planned for this years fete.  Matters outstanding:  which Councillor will lay a wreath (to be organised by Derek Davison) on the morning of 15th June? How many standards will our French visitors bring?

 

14.  Items for Information           Nil.

 

The meeting closed at 9.40pm

 

 

 

Date of next meeting             Monday 10 June 2013

 

 

Signed as a true record:

 

 

……………………………

Chairman.

 

Date……………………….

 

 

 

 

Application

Number

Reason

Address

PC decision

MBC Decision

MA/13/0163

Old Grove Mill Dairy, Eyhorne Street,

ME17 1TT

 

Conversion of building to single dwelling

DNWTO

REFUSED

MA/13/0319

Elsfield House

Ashford Road

ME17 1PA

Erection of two storey side and rear extension and orangery

DNWTO

Approved

MA/13/0514

Land Adjacent

Claygate House,

3  Claygate,

ME17 1XA

Regularisation of planning approval MA/10/1949 erection of a single dwelling in respect of size of garage, roof lights, chimney breast and stack, and porch

 

OBJECT

 

MA/13/0510

Greenway Court Barn,

Greenway Court Road,

ME17 1QE

Erection of a detached garage

Approve

 

MA/13/0158

Land Off Woodcut Lane,

Ashford Road,

Application for a lawful development certificate for the existing use of the land for the siting of two containers for B8 storage purposes

 

OBJECT

 

 

WTA = Wish to approve

DNWTO = Do Not Wish To Object

RNO = Raise No Objection

TBA = To Be Announced