November 2010 Minutes.

Minutes of the meeting of Hollingbourne Parish Council

held on 8 November 2010   in the Cardwell Pavilion at 7.30pm

 

Present:  Mr M Bedwell (Chairman) Mr A. Ward, Mr J Cobbett, Mrs S. O’Connell,

Mr Stephenson, Mr A Williams.

.

Also in attendance: Ms E Lawrence (Clerk), PCSO Lindsay Woods

 

 

1.                                          Apologies for absence: Dr S Bauer )  work

                                       Mr G Bryan) commitments

 

2.                                          Declaration of Interests and amendments to Register of Interests

 

Mr Cobbett declared that he is Chair of the Finance Committee and one of the two cheque signatories, and there was a payment due to the Parochial Church Council, of which he is a member.

Mr Bedwell declared a potential interest in the forthcoming closure of Eyhorne Street, as diverted traffic through Greenway Court Road would have an adverse effect on him.

There were no amendments to the Register of Interests.

 

3.                                          Approval of minutes of last meeting

 

It was resolved that the minutes were a true and accurate record of the meeting and that they should be accepted and were signed by the Chairman.

 

4.                                          Matters Arising (not covered elsewhere on the agenda)

 

Mr Cobbett reported on a meeting which had taken place between members of the Hollingbourne Meadows Trust and the Parish Council.  Mr Cobbett proposed that the Council join forces with the Meadows Trust by raising funds to acquire the further plot of land which will be available for purchase early next year.  Agreed by all, also that Mr Cobbett and Mr Williams would represent the Council in this respect.   The Clerk confirmed she is waiting to hear back from the Ramada Hotel

as a possible venue for as fund raising event.

 

Mr Williams queried that the modification of the definitive map to extend the footpath needed to be applied for.  The Clerk to clarify.

 

5.                                          Chairman’s Report

 

Mr Bedwell reported the outcome of a meeting he had attended with Richard Jacques from Thurnham.  MBC have earmarked areas of Langley for development.  In order to respond quickly and in a co-ordinated   way, the two parishes most affected would work closely together and continue to support a Joint Parishes Group, who would be ready to act (as in the Langley example).  Thought would be given to acceptable levels and types of development , as well as items which would be opposed.   

Mr Williams proposed a village–wide consultation but this was not supported as it was felt too early especially as further proposals for the use of the former “KIG” land were not known.  Mrs Whittle stated she was soon to meet with Hugh Robertson, Paul Carter and others on this subject, and an extension of the Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty to include, and thereby protect that land, was still the  favoured option.

 

The chairman reported on the proposed closure of Eyhorne Street for 35 weeks for the laying of a new gas mains.  Mr Cobbett had hosted a meeting between representatives of the contracted companies concerned (Morrison’s and Scottish and Southern Energy) and local businesses.  He had subsequently written to them.  Plans to divert traffic along Greenway Court road were felt totally inappropriate given that some 70% is single track, with some of the spaces for pulling in no longer available as the surrounding fields have been newly fenced.  There is also a low bridge. Hospital Road is also totally unsuitable.  The Clerk to call a public meeting after a response from Scottish and Southern Energy has been received.  David Beaver from Kent Highways, and the police to be invited to the meeting in due course

 

The chairman asked for nominations/suggestions for a Fete co-ordinator as Mr Bryan is unable to take on the role again next year due to work commitments.

 

6.                                          Crime Update

 

There had been a theft from a vehicle, two thefts of catalytic converters from vehicles and theft of lead from the school roof during the previous month.

 

7.                                          County Councillors Report

 

Mrs Whittle is still awaiting a follow-up by the police with regard to the speeding results from the Survey she had commissioned.

She gave her full support to the Hollingbourne Meadows Trust.

The Parish Forum had included a discussion on villages being used as “rat-runs” and the detrimental effect on minor roads not designed to take such traffic.

The Comprehensive Spending Review decisions would be made known in December and a cut of one third was expected.

 

8.                                          Clerk’s Report

 

All items covered elsewhere on the agenda.

 

9.         Borough Councillor Report     Nil received   

 

10.       Finance Report

 

It was resolved to approve the expenditure (previously circulated) and the cheques were duly signed.   Mr Cobbett outlined the proposal of a petition objecting to the phased withdrawal of the Concurrent Functions grant from MBC, and his reasons why, at this stage, he could not recommend that Hollingbourne should take part. 

 

11.       Parks Report 

 

Mr Ward reported that he was in the process of actioning works to the play equipment and to the Cardwell Pavilion.  Work has been undertaken on the outside lighting to the Pavilion, which is now much improved.

 

12.       Planning Report

 

The following applications had been received and were considered:

 

1

10/1745

Application for prior notification for proposed agricultural development

Grove Mill Farm,

Eyhorne Street,

Hollingbourne,  ME17 1TT

2

10/1760

Listed building consent for alterations to existing kitchen including new glazed

Hollingbourne Manor,

Upper Street,

Hollingbourne,  ME17 1UN

3

10/1768

An application for a non-material amendment of planning permission MA/09/1489

Land Adjacent

Claygate House,

3, Claygate,

Hollingbourne, ME17 1XA

4

10/1794

An application for the prior approval of the Local Planning Authority for the evacuation of sand

Sand Pit Adjacent A20, Ashford Road, Hollingbourne,

 

 

Decisions:

 

1.      Do not object

2.      Do not object

3.      Do not wish to comment

4.      Do not object

 

13.       Environment Report

 

Mr Williams had joined the North Downs Way Autumn walk on 30th October. He reported the need for more Wardens and will ask  through the Parish Magazine.

Complaints received that the rustic gate and stile replacement at the footpath (KH202) Greenway Court Road were passed to John Pelham, who will speak to the landowner regarding possible improvements.

There will be more resurfacing along the Pilgrims way to replace damaged surfaces.

Steps from Manor Lane to Pilgrims Way to be built.

New waymarking has been completed.  Thanks extended to John Pelham for his achievements in and for Hollingbourne; Clerk to write, especially as his input will be valued with regard to Hollingbourne Meadows Trust proposals. Dissatisfaction with failure of contractors to clear spoils from roadworks: Clerk to write.  Mr Williams urged the Council to be proactive in demanding standards from those who regularly dig up our roads, especially in light of the prolonged Eyhorne Street works.

 

 

 

14.       Items for Information

 

The owner of Forge Cottage in Upper Street has requested that notices are no longer affixed to his property.

 

Date of next meeting
 
13th December 2010 in the Cardwell Pavilion.

 

                       

 

 

Signed as a true record:

 

 

……………………………

Chairman.

 

Date……………………….