November 2013 Minutes.

Minutes of the meeting of Hollingbourne Parish Council

held on Wednesday 13th November 2013 in the Cardwell Pavilion commencing at 7.30pm

 Present:   Mr Bedwell (Chairman), Mr Ardley, Mr Bennett, Mr Cobbett, Mr Waite

       In attendance: E Lawrence, Clerk and two members of the public.

 1.      Apologies for absence           Mr Ward, Dr Bauer, Mrs Whittle, Mrs Parvin.

 2.      Declaration of Interests and amendments to Register of Interests

There were no declarations of interest.

There were no amendments to the Register of Interests.

       Requests for Dispensations – none

 3.      Approval of minutes of last meeting  (Circulated prior to meeting)

  It was resolved that the minutes were a true and accurate record of the meeting and they were duly signed by the Chairman.

 4.      Co-Option of Councillor      

 Mr Bedwell invited Mr Lee Vallins to speak for a few minutes to introduce himself to the Council, and Mr Vallins was unanimously co-opted to fill the casual vacancy.  The Clerk issued Acceptance of Office and Disclosure of Pecuniary Interest forms to Mr Vallins and he joined the Council, but was advised not to take part in any vote for the duration of the meeting.

 5.      Matters Arising (not covered elsewhere on the agenda)

 Mr Cobbett sought clarification regarding the accounts.  The Clerk stated that they would not been submitted to the Internal Auditor until after the public inspection period.

 Mr Ardley queried if any progress had been made in obtaining a replacement village sign for Eyhorne Green.  The Chairman replied that the matter was with Dr Bauer and an update is awaited.

 Mr Cobbett stated that the WI had offered to help with checking the gazebos prior to the 2014 Fete and that the first Planning meeting would be held in the Dirty Habit at 8pm on Monday 18th November.

 Mrs Whittle has requested a meeting with the relevant person within KCC to try and resolve the issue of payment for street lighting.

 The proposed development at Waterside Park remains contentious, with Mrs Whittle (KCC),  Hugh Robertson MP, and Victoria Wallace (Leeds Castle) all having written letters  of objection.  MBC Members are asking that this matter is considered by the full council and not just the Planning Committee in light of the apparent strength of feeling (i.e. objection) to J8 development and the MBC officers apparent support in defiance of the elected Members views.

 Mr Cobbett reported that there had been 21 people attending the Remembrance Day event in Templeuve.  It had been hoped to attract 25 in order for the event to be self-funding.  Feedback from those who went was extremely positive.  Mr Cobbett proposed, and it was resolved that the Council took responsibility for the loss incurred (£120).  Interest from Templeuve included choral singing and gymnastic exchanges.  The possibility of a boules weekend in France has been suggested for 2014.

 Mr Bennett reported that MBC were aware of the recent increase in unapproved signage which has appeared in and around the village of late.

 The meeting was adjourned for a 10 minute public question time. 

 6.      Chairman’s Report              

 Mr Bedwell expressed his disappointment that MBC officers seemed determined to develop green field sites around the Parish regardless of the views of the electorate, instead of fully utilising brown sites which have capacity, such as Parkwood.  A May election might be helpful and he urged everyone to find out where candidates stood on this issue prior to voting.

 The visit to Templeuve to commemorate Armistice Day had been  enjoyed by all who took part, and the people of Templeuve had made their English visitors very   welcome.  It had been a moving occasion and the differences between the English and French Remembrance was noticeable, with Remembrance Day being a Bank Holiday in France, and not in the UK, so many interested people were working on the day.  As next year is a centenary year, more thought will be given regarding another possible visit.

 The Salvation Army recycling bin has been vandalised [with an angle grinder] and the contents stolen.  The sabotaged bin had been removed and replaced within 48 hours by the Salvation Army, for which they had been thanked by the Clerk.

 7.      Presentation by Mr Chris Wheal, Kent Fire and Rescue Service.

Mr Wheal discussed the need to maintain the visibility of fire hydrants, as well as for people to be aware of water reserves in their local environment (rivers and streams, swimming pools etc in order to assist Fire officers when they attend an incident.  He also advised of services currently offered to householders with regard to fire safety.  Clerk to circulate contact details.

 8.       Borough Councillor Report   nil

 9.      Crime Update     nil

 10.  Clerk’s Report           Lighting repairs have been undertaken at the Cardwell, with the exception of the lamp at the gateway to the field, which needs rewiring and replacing.  Several lamps out have been reported to the company contracted to maintain the lights.   An alternative company is being sought. 

 The Clerk had received a written apology from SouthEastern regarding the lack of lighting along Station Road, but after nearly three weeks, no repairs have been undertaken.  The Clerk has written again.

 A CD of the Neighbourhood planning which has taken place in Harrietsham has been received should anyone wish to view it.

 11.  Parks Report        nil

 12.  Finance Report

 It was resolved that the cheques should be signed, a list of cheques to be issued for expenditure having been circulated prior to the meeting.

Mr Cobbett reported that expenditure at the end of month 7 of the financial year is at a level with the Precept.  The Clerk to bring current income figures to the next meeting.

The Clerk to write to Mr Garland regarding the payment for street lighting which he undertook would be met by MBC for this year, when he attended here, and which he later confirmed at a meeting in Lenham.

 13.  Environmental Report     nil

 14.  Fete Report    dealt with under matter arising

15.  Planning Report

 MA/13/1820    Land West of 6 Bank Cottages, Pilgrims Way, ME17 1UP

Change of use of land to provide an additional parking space.  

It was resolved to approve this application.

 16.  Items for Information  

 The Joint Parishes Group is due to meet on Thursday 21 November to discuss Junction 8 (M20) applications and the development of green field sites in general.   There is a view that avenues of local protest are virtually exhausted and that perhaps the dispute should be taken into a wider audience.

 

Date of next meeting             Monday 9th December 2013

  

Signed as a true record:

 

 

……………………………

Chairman.

 

Date……………………….