October 2010 Minutes.

Minutes of the meeting of Hollingbourne Parish Council

held on 11 October 010   in the Cardwell Pavilion at 7.30pm

 

Present:  Mr M Bedwell (Chairman) Dr S Bauer, Mr G Bryan, Mr J Cobbett,

Mr Stephenson, Mr A Williams.

.

Also in attendance: Ms E Lawrence (Clerk), PCSO Lindsay Woods

 

 

1.                                          Apologies for absence: Mr A Ward (work commitment),

   Mrs O’Connell (bereavement)

 

2.                                          Declaration of Interests and amendments to Register of Interests

There were no declarations of interest.

There were no amendments to the Register of Interests.

 

3.                                          Approval of minutes of last meeting

 

It was resolved that the minutes were a true and accurate record of the meeting and that they should be accepted and were signed by the Chairman.

 

4.                                          Matters Arising (not covered elsewhere on the agenda)

 

Page 2 Item 4 para 2 Mr Cobbett reported that the catalogue for the auction sale of land is not yet available, and will probably be ready in the New Year.

Page 2 Item 4 para 3 The Clerk has consulted the insurers regarding the placing of the stocks on Eyhorne Green.  They have advised that all sensible precautions are taken, with perhaps a notice advising that children should not climb on them, and that a risk assessment is undertaken and recorded.  The stocks need to be added to the Asset Register, when their monetary (replacement) value is known.

Page 3 Item 8 para 3 The meetings of the Joint Parish Group will continue for the time being and put together a proactive plan for the use of the proposed KIG land.  Mr Cobbett reported that one proposal is to create a Parkway rail station.

Page 5 Item 14 para 2 Mr Williams stated that the footpath is still blocked by a metal gate; Mr Williams to contact Mr Pelham (Public Rights of Way Officer)

 

5.                                          Chairman’s Report

 

         The Chairman has investigated the costs of container storage for the Pavilion equipment currently in the roof space.  He had seen some available in Essex for anything from £400 to £1,000.  Mr Stephenson to ascertain minimum size which would not necessitate Planning permission. 

         Letter received from Hollingbourne Meadows Trust asking for support from the Parish Council to reach out to commercial sources as potential donors as the residents had been extremely generous and it was inappropriate for them to be approached again.  Mr Bedwell to attend meeting with Hollingbourne Meadows Trust.

 

 

 

6.                                          Crime Update

 

PCSO Lindsay Woods reported the recent crime activity in detail. 

There had been 21 crimes within the North Downs   Ward in September, only one of which relates to Hollingbourne, that of malicious damage to a vehicle.  There had been some confusion over the recording of reported damage to a vehicle parked at the station. This had occurred during daylight hours, and the Clerk was asked to continue to pursue the lack of CCTV coverage by South East trains.

3 youths had moved a wheelie bin, filled it with water and proceeded to siphon the water through a resident’s letter box.  The matter is to be dealt with by restorative justice, which PCSO Woods went on to explain: Restorative Justice works to resolve conflict and repair harm. It encourages those who have caused harm to acknowledge the impact of what they have done and gives them an opportunity to make reparation. It offers those who have suffered harm the opportunity to have their harm or loss acknowledged and amends made. In this case, for example, the offenders may have to wash out wheelie bins for a day.

The possibility and availability of using Speedwatch to deter speeding through the village was again discussed.

Illegal parking outside the school was discussed.  If the situation does not improve, there is every likelihood that MBC parking attendants will be present at key times to issue fixed penalty notices.

                                                                                        .

 

7.                  Clerk’s Report

 

         The Clerk had received quotes for inclusive playground equipment for children using wheelchairs. The average cost with delivery and installation costs would come to £9000.  The Council did not feel able to support such expenditure, especially in the current uncertainty over future funding and public service cuts.

         The Clerk read out a letter she had received from Mr Bennett following the co-option procedure last month.  Legal advice was sought: no further action to be taken.

         Letter received thanking the Council for the use of the Cardwell Pavilion from the WI

         All residents are asked to let the Clerk know if their property is damaged by vehicles, especially HGVs, as the traffic situation within the village continues to cause concern for many residents, even if drivers are going about their legitimate business, they are not always using the most appropriate route.

 

All other items covered elsewhere on the agenda.

 

8.         Borough Councillor Report     Nil received   

 

9.         Finance Report

 

It was resolved to approve the expenditure (previously circulated) and the cheques were duly signed.   Mr Cobbett will attend a meeting at which the withdrawal of the Concurrent Functions grant by MBC will be discussed.

The Clerk received a letter asking for a donation to the Royal British Legion for the annual wreath : £50 approved.

 

10.       Parks Report              Nil received

 

11.       Planning Report

 

There were no planning applications to consider.  It was resolved that Mr Stephenson should receive applications during the absence of the Clerk.

 

12.       Environment Report

 

Dr Bauer reported the littering of dustbin stickers which she returned to MBC.

The path through the shaw from the current KH198 to the H210 alongside the C2163 has been approved as a modification to the definitive map, which means that there is now a public right of way. 

 

A replacement bin has been installed by the bus stop at the church.

 

13.       Items for Information

 

  • Mr Cobbett expressed concern regarding a letter received by some residents of Eyhorne Street stating the need for a road closure to facilitate the laying of a new gas mains.  A meeting to be arranged.
  • Mr Bryan to arrange first Fete 2011 meeting.
  • Residents wishing a higher broadband speed are urged to vote via the BT Infinity website, as Hollingbourne does not have a sufficiently large enough population for this to happen automatically, even if fibre optic cables are laid through the village!.

 

 

Date of next meeting
 
8th November 2010 in the Cardwell Pavilion.

 

                       

 

 

Signed as a true record:

 

 

……………………………

Chairman.

 

Date……………………….