Report of the February 2019 Parish Council Meeting.

Following requests from local residents, Hollingbourne Parish Council has decided to publish draft and unapproved minutes of Parish Council Meetings as soon as possible after the Parish Council Meetings take place. The full and approved minutes will continue to be published on this website as soon as they are formally approved.

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT – As from the January 2017 issue of the Hollingbourne Parish Magazine the deadline for copy has been changed to the 10th of the month preceding publication. As many Parish Council meetings are held after the 10th of the month it will be impossible to publish in print the approved or abridged minutes in the month after the monthly meeting that is being reported. Additionally the Parish Magazine has requested that the length of the Minutes be curtailed and because of these constraints it has been decided not to publish any Minutes in the Parish Magazine with effect from January 2017 The full unapproved and approved minutes will continue to be published on this website as soon as they become available. If you would like to be alerted by e-mail as soon as the draft minutes are posted on the Hollingbourne Village website please contact the Webmaster or Parish Clerk via the contact details on the left sidebar. Printed copies will be available upon application to the Parish Clerk or at Christopher’s Village Shop in Eyhorne Street.

DRAFT AND UNAPPROVED

Minutes of the meeting of Hollingbourne Parish Council monthly meeting held on Monday 11th February 2019, in the Cardwell Pavilion, Hollingbourne, commencing at 7.30 pm.

Present: Mr A Ward (Chairman), Cllr S Hulme (Vice Chairman), Cllr D Ardley, Cllr M Gray, Cllr A Marshall & Cllr C O’Meara

In attendance: Cllr Patrik Garten (Maidstone BC), two members of the Public and Mrs V. Smith – Parish Clerk.

1. Apologies for absence: Cllr J Cobbett & Cllr Mrs S Prendergast (previous commitments)

2. Declarations and Requests
Declaration of Changes to the Register of Interests – none; Declaration of Interest in items on the Agenda – none; Requests for Dispensations – none

3. Approval of minutes of last meeting (circulated prior to meeting)
It was resolved that the minutes of the meeting on 14th January 2019 are a true and accurate record of the meeting with the exceptions of in 4. Matters Arising 12.a, the fireworks at the Leeds Castle are of a special ‘quieter’ variety, rather than a silent variety; and 16a. Parks Report, the Parish Council will soon organise a day for path clearing only and not cleaning the pond at the same time.

4. Matters Arising (not covered elsewhere on the agenda) – none
9c. The Clerk will look into obtaining different prices for the wooden white post at the top of Hollingbourne Hill before this item is replaced, and also seek confirmation of the KCC fund to be made towards the cost. Action: The Clerk
13c. The proposal of a ‘Lengthsman’ will be considered at the Parish Assembly. Cllr A Marshall an idea could be put forward for a resident to adopt the care of an area of the village near their home. Problems could then be recognised and reported quickly. Risk assessments would also need to be put in place for a Lengthsman.
13d. The Parish Council does have insurance for the street-light outside of the Fernham Homes development area and repairs to the item will be processed by the Clerk. The cost of removing the street-light as an emergency, £82.50 plus VAT will also be passed onto the insurance company. Action: The Clerk
16b. The Clerk is in the process of getting a quotation to re-erect the ‘no dog fouling’ sign near the entrance of the Millennium Green. Action: The Clerk

5. Police Report – (via email)
a. The report for the Hollingbourne area taken from www.e-watch.co showed one crime report taken for between 8.00 pm Tuesday, 5th February and 5.00 am, 6th February near the M20 when damage was caused to a vehicle. Crime Report No. 46/24366/19 – The Police UK web site advised that in December 2018 no crimes were reported in the Hollingbourne area and the January 2019 figures were unavailable.
b. PCSO Genn would ask the public to be vigilant to the ongoing risk of hare coursing and trespass onto land using 4×4 vehicles. If a 4×4 is seen overnight with two or more occupants and it does seem out of place/suspicious (i.e. three or four occupants, slender dogs in the boot/cabin, lamps, catapults, rifles of excessive clothing worn by occupants) he would urge that the number plate, a description, the location and the time is taken down or a call is placed if the witness/public feel it needs looking into. Even if the information is passed via an online report the day after this would be very helpful.
c. The Parish Council would like to urge villagers to contact the Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111 if they have information relating to crimes, or other concerns that they would like to anonymously supply to the Police. Crimestoppers is a charity which the Police use frequently. If you own a smart phone, the ‘app’ https://countryeye.co.uk/ is also a very convenient way of reporting matters and concerns to the police and the Parish Council would urge you to use this service.

6. Highways – Parking in passing points along Pilgrim’s Way / Broad Street (Cllr D Ardley / Public)
a. PCSO Genn and the Parish Council receive emails with regards to the parking in a passing point outside one of the residents in Pilgrim’s Way / Broad Street. The resident has complained to the Mrs Helen Whately MP about the matter, who will respond to the resident. A report from the Parish Council was requested by the MP and this was forwarded onto her.

7. Chairman’s Report – Cllr A Ward
a. A local solicitor has contacted the Clerk with regards to the release of deeds that they are holding for the Parish Council. Cllr Hulme agreed to investigate the average costs for the release of deeds.

8. Parish Council Minutes in the Parish Magazine – Cllr D Ardley
a. Cllr Ardley has spoken to Mrs Carole Findlay, Editor of the Hollingbourne and Hucking Parish Magazine with regards to the Parish Council Meeting minutes being within it. The minutes were withdrawn a few years ago as they were taking up too much space in the publication, well over the two pages designated to the report. An abridged version of the minutes was considered for the magazine, but it was seen by Cllr Dr Bauer and Cllr Gray that the information in the minutes could be misleading if details were missing in a shortened version and the rest of the Parish Councillors were in agreement with this. The Parish Council could pay £355 p.a. extra for extra pages within the magazine and this item will be discussed at the Parish Assembly to gauge interest and support from the villagers.

9. Clerk’s Report –
a. A defibrillator and its storage box had been ordered for the outside wall of the school. Also, the Clerk has written to the landlord of the Village Hall to find out whether a second defibrillator can be fixed on the outside of the building. The Clerk will chase up the letter with regards to a response.
Action: The Clerk
b. Please see items in Matters Arising, 4.c. and 13.d and 16.b.
c. The Clerk has now received a quotation from the field maintenance company for the tidying of the vegetation around the playground area, the verges and entrance to the village when required and the clearing of the moss on the roof of the Cardwell Pavilion.
d. The Clerk is pursuing funding towards obtaining the deeds for Tanyard Green and giving the area a Pocket Park status. Funding would include installing plants that have multi-sensory appeal, for instance plants that are soft to touch and able to move in the breeze or heavily fragranced for those with visual impairment, or other special needs. The funding would also be used for bird boxes, planters and an additional bench seat. The Clerk will report back if funding has been obtained. Action: The Clerk
e. The Clerk has been advised that interviews are taking place locally for a Volunteer Support Warden, who would also be available for the Hollingbourne area. The Clerk will report back when she has further information.

10. County Councillor’s Report – Cllr Mrs S Prendergast (via email)
a. Cllr Mrs Prendergast advised that she has been contacted by a gentleman present on the night of the previous Parish Meeting who asked about the wooden finger post. He has written recently asking for specifications, costs etc. and would like to drum up some local support to help fund it. The gentleman feels “It would be a great loss to the character and history of the area if this landmark was to be replaced by a modern metal post” – which is agreed with, hence Cllr Mrs Prendergast’s offer to support via her Members Grant. Cllr Mrs Prendergast suggested that he should liaise with the Clerk who has all the information required. (Please see item in Matters Arising 9.c.)

11. Borough Councillor’s Report – Cllr Patrik Garten
a. Cllr Garten advised that the Maidstone BC is discussing the Tourist Destination Management Plan and its local benefits for the economy, etc.
b. The Judicial Review between Maidstone BC and KCC continues following the dispute over Section 106 money. This is a payment to offset the negative effects of a development on the surrounding area and infrastructure. The Maidstone BC local plan seeks to promote modal shift, the shift from car use to other forms of transport and the authority would like to use the S106 money to see the A274 widened for a peak time bus lane. However, KCC is the Highways Authority and they are opposed to the bus lane idea and took the decision to use some of this money on a feasibility study for a Leeds / Langley relief road, and this is the first step in possibly building this very much-needed relief road. There are good legal arguments from both parties, but going to court is a very expensive way of coming to a decision.
c. The leadership at Maidstone BC will be considering whether to increase the Council Tax to the maximum permitted 3%. The share Maidstone BC has of the Council Tax bill is a mere 14%, however, Cllr Garten advised that he voted against all budget proposals which seek any increases of fees or taxes as he sees that a raise in the precept is not required.
d. A CIL (Community Infrastructure Levy) Workshop is taking place on the 20th February 2019 specifically aimed at Parish Councils were it highlights what they may be entitled to in funds. UPDATE: The Clerk and Cllr A Marshall attended the workshop and can advise the Parish Councillors about the new information in due course.
e. The Maidstone BC Community Member’s Grant for the North Downs area, via Cllr Garten, has several interested parties applying for funding, including the Parish Council towards the installation of the defibrillators. Once all of the applications have been received Cllr Garten can split the funding between the parties.
f. The Go Green Go Wild project that has been introduced by Maidstone BC and a contact name was advised for Cllr A Marshall.
g. A planning appeal has been made to the Planning Inspectorate with regards to 18/504180/FULL Hollingbourne Property Services Ltd, Eyhorne Green, Musket Lane for the demolition of existing buildings and erection of two dwellings on remaining part of the builder’s yard. The application had not in the past been rejected by the Parish Council. A meeting with the Conservation Officer will take place next week.
h. Please see Cllr Garten’s latest newsletter on the Parish website http://www.hollingbournepc.kentparishes.gov.uk/march-2019-newsetter-from-our-borough-councillor/ where issues and information which will be of interest the residents of Hollingbourne are candidly discussed. Current Consultations can be found at:
http://www.maidstone.gov.uk/home/primary-services/council-and-democracy/additional-areas/have-your-say/tier-3-primary-areas/current-consultations

12. Planning Committee Report – Cllr A Ward
a. 18/506370/FULL – Land to rear of 44 Culpeper Close
Proposal: Demolition of existing garage and erection of proposed new detached commercial unit.
Update: Cllr A Ward has spoken to the applicant as last month the Parish Council objected to the planning application due to concerns over additional parking in Culpeper Close and potential obstruction to the land behind the property. The applicant understands why the decision was made and is going to liaise with the designer to see if this parking concern can be resolved, enabling approval by the Parish Council.
b. 19/500109/FULL – ‘Norton Charity’, Broad Street Hill, Hollingbourne
Proposal: First floor extension over existing kitchen area.
Decision: DO NOT WISH TO OBJECT (all in favour)
c. 19/500436/TCA – ‘Northdown Croft’, Broad Street Hill, Hollingbourne
Proposal: Conservation area notification to fell one Ash tree.
Decision: DO NOT WISH TO OBJECT (all in favour)
d. 19/500360/TCA – Hollingbourne Manor, Manor Lane, Hollingbourne
Proposal: Conservation area notification to fell one Sycamore tree.
Decision: DO NOT WISH TO OBJECT (all in favour)
e. 19/500164/FULL – Little Allington Farm Buildings, Pilgrim’s Way, Hollingbourne
Proposal: Change of use of the land from Sui Generis to C3 residential, including demolition of two outbuildings and erection of a 3 bay car port with accommodation within the loft space ancillary to Little Allington Farmhouse. Decision: DO NOT WISH TO OBJECT (all in favour)
f. 19/500310/FULL – Land East of Eyhorne Green House, Musket Lane, Hollingbourne
Proposal: Erection of a single 2 bedroom dwelling.
Decision: OBJECT (all against)
Reason: The construction of the proposed dwelling could be harmful to the listed building which is very close to it. The proposed dwelling is not in accordance for the pattern of development of conservation in that part of the Eyhorne Street, Hollingbourne.

13. Environmental Committee Report –
a. The Maidstone Bus Pilot Consultation is taking place where the number 13 bus for Hollingbourne and number 59 bus for Grafty Green will be affected. Please see the link http://www.hollingbournepc.kentparishes.gov.uk/kcc-launches-public-consultation-on-hollingbourne-number-13-bus-service/ for more information.
b. The Hollingbourne WI have kindly arranged the Pancake Races to take place on the Lance Memorial Field on Tuesday, 5th March at 1.30 pm and refreshments will be available. All are welcome to attend.
c. The Parish Council is glad to say that on Saturday, 23rd March 2019 Hollingbourne will hold the Village Spring Clean litter picking session. Eager volunteers are to meet at the entrance to Hasteds at 10.30 am, finishing at around mid-day. It would also be advisable to remind people to wear gloves and not to put themselves in any danger when collecting rubbish. The Clerk is in liaison with Maidstone BC with the collection of litter-picker sticks, high visibility vests, etc, with the possibility of having the word ‘HOLLINGBOURNE’ placed on the back of the vests. With regards to the ongoing problem of litter in the village, particularly when grass maintenance operatives seem to strim the litter up with the grass, the village litter pick will be a much welcome event. Cllr Ardley advised that the litter is the responsibility of the Maidstone BC and the grass cutting of the KCC, and so the problem of litter being ‘strimmed’ is not easy to blame on either Council. It is recommended that a CCTV self-triggering camera could be used to collect evidence of litter dropping offenders and prosecutions can be made by the Maidstone BC if they have sufficient information.

14. Finance Committee Report –
a. There is £37,603.11 in the Parish Council’s combined bank accounts as of the 2nd February 2019. The Parish Councillors authorised the cheques drawn by the Clerk.
b. Please see item 4, Matters Arising 13d, regarding the cost of repairing the street-light opposite the Fernham development site.

15. Highways and Infrastructure Committee Report –
a. The provisional date of the 11th March 2019 has been set for the quiet skimmed surface to be placed along the M20, coast-bound, between junctions 8 and 9. The skimming on the London-bound M20 lanes have been delayed due to the Operation Brock works. Cllr O’Meara, her family and animals are adversely affected by the works taking place, together with other Hollingbourne residents. Conditions are intolerable not just because of the noise, but with human waste, refuse including beer cans and vehicle tyres, etc being thrown onto her land which backs onto the motorway, narrowing missing her children and horses. The motorway embankment is now also flooding due to the works and the brook on it becoming blocked. Cllr O’Meara is in constant communication with Highways England and Mrs Helen Whately MP and for regular updates on the matter please visit the Parish website.
b. The Speed Watch initiative will be high-lighted at the Parish Assembly and the representation from local Parish Councils with the equipment would be much welcome at the event. The Clerk will invite them to attend. Action: The Clerk
16. Parks Committee Report – Cllr A Ward / Cllr A Marshall
a. Cllr Marshall is investigating available funding for works on the Millennium Green, which may help fund items such as bird boxes and grants for outdoor gym equipment on the Lance Memorial Field.
b. Cllr M Gray reported that there had recently been a problem with water coming out of the drains around Tilefields and Southern Water had attended to the matter which we believe was to do with a blocked sewer. Problems such as the aforementioned are the responsibility of Southern Water and should be reported to them and Kent Highways.
c. The picket fence which has been knocked down along Eyhorne Street is also privately owned and is not the responsibility of the Parish Council or Maidstone BC.

17. Parish Assembly –
a. A revised date for the Parish Assembly has been made of Tuesday, 30th April 2019 which will be easier to attend rather than having the event over the school holidays. Cllr Gray has produced a draft agenda for the evening and a meeting will be held for the Parish Councillors on the 26th February 2019, 7.30 pm, to discuss the organisation of the event.

18. Fête Sub-Committee Report – Cllr D Ardley & Cllr A Ward
a. The next Fete meeting will be held in The Sugar Loaves PH, on Monday, 25th February 2019 at 8.00 pm. Some acts at the event have confirmed their attendance and decisions on the running of the bar and food options will be made, event advertising and agreement on who will open the event.

19. Twinning Sub-Committee Report – Cllr J Cobbett –
a. UPDATE: The Hollingbourne Twinning Committee has received an invitation from the French War Veterans Association to attend two days of events from 23rd to 24th March which will mark the 50th anniversary of the end of France’s war in North Africa, and arrangements for this visit are being made. Please contact Mr Derek Davison, Royal British Legion for further information on 01622 880650 or derekandjeanne@btinternet.com . In addition please visit link for an update http://www.hollingbournepc.kentparishes.gov.uk/hollingbourne-to-be-represented-at-templeuve-event-to-mark-the-end-of-the-frances-algerian-war-in-1969/

Date of next meeting: Monday 11th March 2019, 7.30 pm, Cardwell Pavilion, Hollingbourne

Signed as a true record: Chairman: Date: