September 2011 Minutes.

Minutes of the meeting of Hollingbourne Parish Council

held on 12th September 2011 in the Cardwell Pavilion at 7.30pm

 

Present:   Mr Bedwell (Chairman), Mr F Stephenson, Mr A Williams.

Also in attendance: Mrs D Parvin (Borough Councillor) Ms E Lawrence (Clerk)

1.                  Apologies for absence    Mr Cobbett (clash of meetings), Mr Ward (may be late ) Mrs J Whittle County Councillor, Dr S Bauer (unwell) Mrs. S O’Connell (family matters),

2.                  Declaration of Interests and amendments to Register of Interests

Mr Bedwell declared a personal interest in Planning Application MA/11/1320

There were no amendments to the Register of Interests.

3.          Approval of minutes of last meeting

It was resolved that the minutes were a true and accurate record of the meeting and that they should be accepted and so were duly signed by Mr Bedwell.

4.                  Matters Arising

Mr Stephenson stated that MBC Planning decisions will be reported back at PC meetings, as well as published in the Parish Magazine.

5.         Chairman’s Report

Mr Bedwell was pleased that Eyhorne Street was open to two way traffic once more. The verges are being badly damaged by the continuing amount of HGVs using the route despite the narrow carriageway at the traffic lights.  Action: Clerk to write demanding full restoration of the verges otherwise road widening will occur by default when resurfacing takes place.

The Downs Mail has given prominence to a proposal to develop an energy from waste wood plant in Ashford Road in an article on the front page. The Council has objected, as has local county councillor Mrs Whittle.

The consultation document from Maidstone Borough Council “Core Strategy” is causing grave concern to a great many people, as it includes a proposal to develop warehousing on land “at J8 of the M20” This, having spent in excess of £1 million defeating the Axa/KIG proposal.  Mrs Parvin contributed to the ensuing discussion, pointing out that the document is at consultation stage, nothing in it is site specific, and that housing development has reduced by 1000 homes (from the previous local government figures).  Individual responses to the consultation are welcomed.  She asked the chairman to read a statement from Councillor Chris Garland, Leader of MBC. Action: Clerk to write and object to inclusion of development at J8.

 

 

 

The Chairman wished the Council to be aware of the theft of a pony from a field opposite the Ramada hotel.  The animal has been re-united with its owner following reports by several residents to the police of a pony being led away along the A20.

The meeting was suspended to allow a  10 minute interval during which the public could speak; the meeting then resumed.

The proposed withdrawal of the Saturday Bus service was discussed and it was and that confirmed that the KALC Maidstone Area group had objected, as well as the PC. It was noted that Mrs Whittle supported the retention of a bus service on Saturdays and proposed to run a minibus from Hollingbourne to Maidstone (one return trip) if more people do not use the service to make it commercially viable.  Clerk to ascertain costs of running current service.

The pavements from Cotuam’s Hall to Christopher’s Village Shop in Eyhorne Street are in a poor state of repair on both sides of the road.  Action Clerk to report to KCC.   The Clerk reminded those present that anyone with access to the internet could report such matters as individuals, and sometimes numbers of complaints were effective in bringing about action.

6                    Crime Report            None received.

7.         Clerks report            The Clerk reported receipt of the following items:

×          Further Core Strategy consultation questionnaire

×          A report by Kent Downs AONB Unit on Managing Land for Horses

×          A Protocol for delivering Affordable Local Housing Needs in Rural Kent produced by The Kent Housing Group and Kent Rural Board

×          Citizen’s Advice Bureau (Maidstone) Annual Report 2010/11

The Clerk is aware that County Councillor Jenny Whittle has asked for any outstanding issues which might be funded from her budget to be brought to her attention, and the Council asked that the road signage relating to speed and traffic be improved as this had been promised on many occasions but never implemented.  Action: Clerk

The Clerk asked Members to return their forms for the Parish Councillors Allowances Review for collation and return to MBC, even though no member currently draws an allowance.      

8.         County Councillors Report 

 

The Clerk had received a verbal report from Mrs Whittle, most of which had already been delivered throughout the meeting: namely the withdrawal of the Saturday bus service, J8 development reminding all that the consultation was officer  led and likely to change if enough people expressed their views, and that an application will be made to make the former “KIG” land an AONB when Natural England have finished re-defining their status definitions at the end of the year.

 

9.         Borough Councillor Report    Mrs Parvin had already covered much of her report during the meeting, but added that the march through the town by the 36th Engineer Regiment was well supported, as well as the Mela, although there had not been as many stalls this year.

10.       Planning Report    Mr Stephenson presented the recommendations of the Planning Committee, which were proposed and carried.

 

APP NUMBER

Reason

Address

PC decision

TA/0117/11

Notice of intent to reduce height of one yew tree

Six Bells

Upper Street

Hollingbourne

NB Out of Time

 *DNWTO

 

 

TA/0131/11

Notice of intent to fell one sycamore and one Elderberry tree

Hollingbourne Manor

DNWTO

MA/11/0853

Listed building consent for replacement garage door

Hollingbourne Manor

DNWTO

MA/11/1320

Erection of front porch

5 Greenway Court Farm Cottages

Greenway Court Road

DNWTO

MA/11/1366

Proposed replacement dwelling

Hantesa

Pilgrim’s Way

 

DNWTO

MA/11/0514

Change of use and conversion of barn to B1 office unit

Greenway Court Farm

DNWTO

 

*DNWTO = Do Not Wish To Object

 

Mr Stephenson reiterated the need for responses to the Core Strategy Consultation, especially in light of proposed changes to the Planning process under the Localism Bill.

 

11.      Environment report   No report received.  The erosion of the verges was mentioned again.  The Clerk reported that she had received a few requests for the footpath along “Jack’s Alley” across the fields to the station to be brought up to the standards achieved elsewhere in the village.  It is currently not usable for anyone with a physical disability as it involves “home made”stiles.  Action: Mr Williams.

12.       Finance Report

It was resolved to approve the expenditure (previously circulated) and the cheques were duly signed by Mr Stephenson.

13.       Parks Report   None received.  The storage cupboard in the Cardwell Pavilion had been locked by a person unknown, and the lock had to be forced but will be replaced as soon as possible.

14        Items for information           The Fete 2012 Meeting is fixed for 19th October.

 
Date of next meeting             10th October 2011 at 19.30 in the Cardwell Pavilion.

 

 

Signed as a true record:

 

 

……………………………

Chairman.

 

Date:…………………………….