September 2013 Minutes.

 Minutes of the meeting of Hollingbourne Parish Council

held on Monday 9th September in the Cardwell Pavilion

commencing at 7.30pm

 

Present:           Mr M Bedwell (Chairman)

Mr A Ward (Vice-Chairman)

Mr D Ardley

Dr S Bauer

Mr A Bennett

Mr P Waite

            and      Ms E Lawrence, Parish Clerk

     

1.      Apologies for absence     Mr J Cobbett (away),  Mrs J Whittle (other commitment), PCSO de Bucra-Ousby

2.      Declarations and Requests

Declaration of Changes to the Register of Interests   – none

     Declaration of Interest in items on the Agenda          – Mr Bedwell, neighbour of planning applicant  

Requests for Dispensations                                         – none

3.      Approval of minutes of last meeting  (Circulated prior to meeting)

 It was resolved that the minutes were a true and accurate record of the meeting and they were duly signed by the Chairman.

4.          Matters Arising (not covered elsewhere on the agenda) Item 6.  Mr Bedwell reported that on the day after the last Parish Council meeting had been held, during which there was a Q & A session with DHA Planning,  he had been told that one of the companies involved had been subject to a takeover and were relocating elsewhere (?France).  It was also noted that it had been implied that the lease of the current site could not be renewed and that Scarab and ADL were being forced to vacate the premises.   It was suggested that this was misleading and inaccurate.

Action:  Mr Cobbett to write in order to ascertain if contractual arrangements are in place for the two companies concerned to occupy Waterside Park after the sand extraction has taken place.

Whilst the Council were pleased to eventually receive the information sought under the provisions of a Freedom of Information request, there was surprise and concern at the number of meetings that had already taken place between the applicant and MBC between March and July this year.  It was felt that there was little to be gained in asking for further disclosure of information at this point.  It was resolved that Mr Waite make another Freedom of Information request for similar details concerning possible development at Woodcut Farm. Action: Mr Waite

                                              

5.             Chairman’s Report     Mr Bedwell suggested that an Open evening be held in late October/early November for residents to come and consider the impact of proposals to develop land such as those under consideration by Gallaghers.  Concern was expressed that the implications of increased traffic were not fully understood, for example the school bus run.

Hopefully the recent bronze age archeological finds on the Downs will strengthen the case against further development in the area.

Mr Attwood has offered to demonstrate the work he has undertaken to date removing coniferous trees and replacing with deciduous, indigenous planting.  It was agreed that a weekend day in late October/early November would be appreciated.

An approach to advertise Cardwell Pavilion hire in Leeds Church Diary was declined as too expensive.

It was with regret that the chairman had accepted the resignation of Ursula Askew as Council Member, due to personal reasons.

6.             Crime Report   The Clerk reported on figures supplied by PCSO de Burca-Ousby:

Criminal damage to property valued under £5000 – Person charged

Assault of a constable in the execution of his / her duty – Person charged
Section 5 words / behaviour – harassment alarm distress – Person charged
Theft from shop – junction 8
Criminal damage to property valued under £5000
Ashford road – windows damaged
Eyhorne street – window damaged

The PCSO had also asked for it to be reported that there have been recent incidents of scams involving telephone approaches to residents where the caller purports to be from the Metropolitan (ie not Kent) police, involving handing over money. 

A large number of 4 to 5 inch nails have been dumped on and near the footpath where the motorcycling events take place.  This practice is irresponsible and potentially harmful to walkers, children and animals.  The organisers of motorcycling events are operating within the law and will not be deterred by this behaviour.

Dr Bauer reported a suspicious van had been in the village selling tools.

7.             Clerk’s Report             Recent lamp failures have been reported.  A quotation to replace the streetlights is awaited.  The Clerk had met with Kent Highways representatives looking at the state of the pavement surfaces alond Eyhorne Street.  There are a variety of edging (engineering brick, ragstone etc) and the question was raised regarding the repeated displacement caused by vehicles mounting the footway, especially brewery lorries.  There are cheaper alternatives which would “give the street a more uniform look” but Members felt strongly that as this is a Conservation Area, things should be unaltered in style and materials used.

Other items covered elsewhere on the agenda.

8.      County Councillor Report         Mrs Whittle is leading on the closure programme of a number of children’s centres and is addressing several public meetings on this.

 The application for a weight limit sign for the Bourne bridge remains outstanding.

9.             Borough  Councillor Report   nil received

10.         Planning Report          Mr Bennett stated he wished to convene a group to undertake preliminary work on a Neighbourhood plan, on a relatively small scale.

The following applications were considered:

Application

Number

Reason

Address

PC

decision

MBC

decision

TA/0111/13

 

To reduce yew tree, subject of TPO, by 30%

 

 Old Forge House,

Upper Street

RNO

 

MA/13/1443

Retrospective listed building consent for replacement of flooring at ground floor level.

The Old Cottage,

Upper Street

DNWTO

 

MA/13/1445

Retrospective listed building consent for conversion of double aspect first storey bedroom to two smaller rooms

The Old Cottage,

Upper Street            

DNWTO

 

MA/13/1487

Erection of two storey side and rear extension.

1, Pond Cottages, Greenway Ct Rd

DNWTO

 

WTA = Wish to approve

DNWTO = Do Not Wish To Object

RNO = Raise No Objection

TBA = To Be Announced

 

11.         Environmental Report            Dr Bauer reported that British Gas have cleared the overgrown vegetation at the substation.

 

12.         Finance Report

 

It was resolved that the cheques should be signed, a list of cheques to be issued for expenditure having been circulated prior to the meeting.

The financial position for the year 2012/13 and Fete accounts were presented.

13.      Parks Report     Mr Ward reported that there was still no resolution to the outstanding matter of the Millennium Green and Maidstone Borough Council.

The amount of dog faeces which has been placed in plastic bags but left on the ground was noted with concern and members applauded Mrs Phelan for her recent letter in the Village Magazine.

It was resolved to adopt the recently published Code of Practice re CCTV.

The Lance Memorial Field has been booked for a wedding next summer.  It was thought that this would be a “first”.

14.         Items for Information             Mr Bedwell confirmed that a replacement village sign should be looked into, using the income derived from the Fete.  Dr Bauer agreed to investigate possibilities such as a carved replica, a coloured resin sign and a wrought iron replacement were all suggested.

Mr Bennett expressed concern at the lack of Hollingbourne news given by the Kent Messenger, and offered to look into this.

A volunteer representative from Kent Fire and Rescue Service will attend the November meeting to address issues around Fire hydrants.

Date of next meeting         14th October 2013

 

Signed as a true record:

 

 

……………………………

Chairman.

 

Date……………………….