Hollingbourne Parish Council has received the following message from the Public Protection Unit at Kent County Council. Please Read more for further information.
Latest News from Kent County Council Public Protection.
09 JANUARY 2019
Want to report a doorstep criminal
Fake TV Licensing Emails Received By Thousands
Be aware – there have been more than 5,000 reports about fake TV Licensing emails in the last 3 months. In December 2018 alone, 200 reports were made, with victims reporting a total loss of £233,455. The banks say they cannot reimburse customers who have mistakenly authorised payments to fraudsters.
How It Works
• An email is received about TV licence payments/refunds.
• The payment/refund link is to a “genuine-looking” website.
• Personal and bank details are requested on a fake form.
• Within two weeks, the criminals call, claiming to be from the fraud department of the victim’s bank.
• They tell the victim that fraudulent activity has taken place on their account and to transfer their money to a new “safe account”.
• Never answer unsolicited emails.
• Don’t assume a phone call or email is authentic.
• Always question unsolicited requests for your personal or financial information
• TV Licensing will never email you, unprompted, to ask for bank/personal details or tell you about a refund.
• Your bank will never ask for your PIN, password, or to transfer money out of your account.
What To Do If You’ve Fallen Victim
• Let your bank know as soon as possible and monitor your accounts regularly for unusual activity.
• If you have lost money to the scammers, contact Kent Police by calling 101
TV Licensing offers helpful information on scam emails here
You can view our Privacy Notice at any time. It explains what personal data we hold about you, how we collect the data and how we may use and share information about you. We are required to give this information under the data protection law.
For advice and to report issues to KCC Trading Standards contact
Citizens Advice consumer service on 03454 04 05 06
Monday to Friday from 9am to 5pm.
Copyright © 2019 Public Protection, All rights reserved.
You are receiving this email because you opted into receive emails from KCC Public Protection.