April 2019 Minutes.

The Minutes of the Hollingbourne Parish Council Meeting of  8th April 2019 in the Cardwell Pavilion that were approved at the Parish Council Meeting on 13th May 2019.

Minutes of the meeting of Hollingbourne Parish Council monthly meeting held on Monday 8th April 2019, in the Cardwell Pavilion, Hollingbourne, commencing at 7.30 pm.

Present: Cllr S Hulme (Vice Chairman), Cllr J Cobbett, Cllr D Ardley, Cllr Dr S Bauer, Cllr M Gray,
Cllr A Marshall & Cllr C O’Meara

In attendance: Cllr Mrs S Prendergast (KCC), Cllr Patrik Garten (Maidstone BC) & Mrs V Smith–Parish Clerk.

1. Apologies for absence: Cllr A Ward (Chairman) previous engagement

2. Declarations and Requests
Declaration of Changes to the Register of Interests – none; Declaration of Interest in items on the Agenda – Cllr Hulme is the neighbour of applicants for 19/501311/FULL – Land adjacent to Penn Court, Manor Lane, Hollingbourne and therefore will not vote on the planning decision. Requests for Dispensations – none

3. Approval of minutes of last meeting (circulated prior to meeting)
It was resolved that the minutes of the meeting on 11th March 2019 are a true and accurate record of the meeting.

4. Matters Arising (not covered elsewhere on the agenda) – none
17. With regards to the clearing of the pond on the Millennium Green and work elsewhere around the village, the Meadows Trust will be asked to see if they would like to assist with these matters.
8a. With regards to the Parish Magazine, Cllr Cobbett reported that the Parish Council paying for extra pages within the publication to print full minutes was discussed at the Parochial Church Council and there was little support for the idea. Cllr Ardley suggests that the matter is discussed at the Parish Assembly to ascertain interest. Cllr Hulme said that the timeliness and accuracy of the minutes in the magazine were important considerations.

5. Police Report – (via email)
a. The report for the Hollingbourne area taken from www.e-watch.co , since the 1st March showed three crime reports being on the 5th March, between 11.45 am and 12.30 pm, on the M20, a vehicle was broken into and tools stolen; 18th March, around 4.30 am in Upper Street, person(s) have entered a building and stolen items and 23rd March, between 12.00 pm 23rd March and 11.38 am 25th March, on a building site on Eyhorne Street. The Police UK web site advised that 2019 figures for Kent were unavailable.
b. It is also very sad to report that between the 21st and 22nd March, the large rope swing was stolen from the Hollingbourne Playground, Lance Memorial Field (crime report no. 46/63153/19). The person(s) taking the swing may have thought that they were stealing from the Parish Council, but actually the funding for the equipment was kindly given by the developers of Godfrey Meadow, as the Parish Council did not have the financial means to buy new play equipment. The thieves have stolen from the children of the village and they should be very ashamed of themselves.
c. The Parish Council would like to urge villagers to contact the Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111 if they have information relating to crimes, or other concerns that they would like to anonymously supply to the Police. Crimestoppers is a charity which the Police use frequently. If you own a smart phone, the ‘app’ https://countryeye.co.uk/ is also a very convenient way of reporting matters and concerns to the police and the Parish Council would urge you to use this service.

6. Chairman’s Report – Cllr A Ward
a. Cllr Hulme and Cllr Ardley signed off the solicitor’s documents for the obtaining of the Tanyard Green deeds.
b. A letter from the applicant of the planning application 19/501539/FULL has been received at the Parish Council office with regards to discussing the proposed dwelling on site. The application has been voted upon at tonight’s meeting but the Parish Clerk will write in response that a discussion would still be welcome with Cllr A Ward, Chairman. Action: Parish Clerk / Cllr A Ward

7. White Post at the top of Hollingbourne Hill – Cllr D Ardley (Please see item 10.b).

8. Clerk’s Report –
a. A defibrillator and its storage box have now been delivered to the school for installation in April 2019. A defibrillator and its storage box is also now on the outside of the Village Hall, and the equipment has been registered with SECAMB (South East Coast Ambulance Service). The second defibrillator will be installed on the outside wall of the school in April 2019, and this machine will also be registered. The code for the storage box is given to the 999 caller when the equipment is required. The Parish Council and school will not be cascading the code information separately. Action: The Clerk
b. The Clerk will obtain prices for the renewal of sign writing on the blue notice-board outside of the Cardwell Pavilion as some of the information is now out of date. Action: The Clerk
c. The new bus pilot scheme comes into operation in June 2019, where the number 13 bus from Hollingbourne will travel only as far as the Morrison’s Superstore on the Sutton Road where passengers will need to continue their journey into Maidstone on a second bus. Bus transport has been cancelled between the 8th and 18th April due to road closures in the Leeds village. This information has been placed on the Parish website and on all of the village notice-boards. UPDATE: as of 10th April – The road in Leeds has not been totally closed to traffic although it will be on 11th April and 12th April. Traffic lights have been installed to allow traffic to use just one side of the road. This means that the number 13 bus will continue to run except on 11th and 12th April.

9. County Councillor’s Report – Cllr Mrs S Prendergast (via email)
a. Other than Operation Brock and Operation Stack causing disruption in the area Cllr Mrs Prendergast has helped Lenham Parish Council work on their Neighbourhood Plan and assisted in her capacity with the schools in Lenham, Harrietsham and Bearsted. Cllr O’Meara said that Operation Brock on the M20 is an ongoing nightmare and she is in constant contact with Highways England over the motorway works. The air quality in the area is terrible and Cllr O’Meara will copy Cllr Mrs Prendergast into her correspondence with Mrs Helen Whately MP with regards to the matter.
b. The Clerk will furnish Cllr Mrs Prendergast with an update on costs/timings for the white-post. Once a quotation has been agreed upon the information will be passed onto the Wormshill Parish Group to enquire about contributions. Action: Clerk
c. A Speedwatch Initiative within the village will be discussed at the Parish Assembly and Cllr Mrs Prendergast will be advised of the results of the consultation. The Highways Plan for the Hollingbourne village is at a fledgling stage at present.
d. The Harrietsham Playgroup will move temporarily into the Hollingbourne Village Hall in September 2019.

10. Borough Councillor’s Report – Cllr Patrik Garten
a. The proposal by the Berkeley Care Group to build a care home at White Heath on the A20 close to Junction 8 and Woodcut Farm has been explored by Cllr Garten when he visited the developer’s Warwick care home. Cllr Garten was very impressed with what he saw as the quality of care for the people and the staff at the home is very high and everybody appeared very happy to be there. The developer’s exhibition of the building proposals was on display in the Hollingbourne Village Hall on the 26th March 2019 and comments were made by the public about the care home’s commercial building design. The building has a flat roof because solar panels are going to be upon it as the developer wish to promote the use of green energy. With regards to its location next to the proposed Roxhill warehousing and distribution complex, Councillor Garten says that in the experience of the Berkeley Care Group, residents of the care homes find the busy activity interesting to watch and mentally stimulating. In conclusion, Councillor Garten felt it would be very difficult to find any fault with the planning application when it is received by Mid Kent Planning and the Parish Council.
b. There are some local elections taking place within Maidstone BC, but not within the North Downs ward.
c. A homelessness and rough sleepers strategy is currently being formed at the Maidstone BC. Cllr P Garten advised that the last count confirmed one rough sleeper, and Cllr Dr S Bauer questioned this finding. Cllr Garten confirmed that he is part of a six member group who walk the town centre of Maidstone at night to ascertain how many rough sleepers are there. This can involve looking out for tents, as well as people sleeping in doorways.
The Hackney Carriage and Private Hire Licencing Policy Review consultation is open until the 26th May 2019, and is of interest because of clean air requirements and the effect of the age of taxi vehicles their exhaust emissions. Current Consultations can be found at: http://www.maidstone.gov.uk/home/primary-services/council-and-democracy/additional-areas/have-your-say/tier-3-primary-areas/current-consultations .
d. There was a Strategic Planning, Sustainability and Transport Committee meeting on the 12th March 2019 at the Maidstone BC. The Committee stated that the Maidstone Building for Life 12 Guide was an excellent tool to use in development planning conversations. It was reported at the meeting (item 183 draft minutes) that Mr Rob Jarman, Head of Planning and Development, outlined that the Maidstone Building for Life 12 Guide was important for two reasons. Firstly, it sent a clear message that MBC expected high quality designs for future residential developments. Secondly, it enhanced the structure and consistency of operational discussions. Mr Jarman suggested that the appointment of a Member Design Champion would enable Councillors and Officers to work collaboratively on matters relating to the design of residential developments.
e. Two of the Maidstone BC smaller committees, including the Employment committee, are going to become sub-committees of the Policy and Resources Committee, which falls in line with the Strategic Plan.
f. Please see Cllr Garten’s latest newsletter on the Parish website http://www.hollingbournepc.kentparishes.gov.uk/april-2019-newsletter-from-our-maidstone-borough-councillor/ where issues and information which will be of interest the residents of Hollingbourne are candidly discussed.

11. Planning Committee Report – Cllr A Ward
a. 19/501660/SUB – Land East of Eyhorne Street (between Godfrey Hs & Claygate), Hollingbourne
Proposal: Submission of details pursuant to condition 13 (External Lighting) and condition 15 (External Boundaries) for planning permission 16/508640/FULL. Decision: No comment (not enough information given to make informed decision).
b. 19/501311/FULL – Land Adjacent Penn Court, Manor Lane, Hollingbourne
Proposal: Erection of an agricultural storage building. Decision: DNWTO (All voting Parish Councillors in agreement – Cllr S Hulme abstained from voting as he is the neighbour of the applicant).
c. 19/501080/TCA – The Oast House, Pilgrim’s Way, Hollingbourne
Proposal: Conservation Area Notification – Conifer (T1) – fell due to close proximity to garage building. Concern towards impact upon foundations and low amenity value. Unknown species (T2) – fell due to excessive shading and low amenity value. Decision: DNWTO
d. 19/501601/SUB – Esso Petroleum Co Ltd, M20 Junction 8 From Junction 7
Proposal: Submission of details pursuant to Condition 5: Arboricultural Method Statement (original application ref: 18/500959/FULL). Decision: No comment.
e. 19/501336/FULL – Esso Petroleum Co Ltd, M20 Junction 8 From Junction 7
Proposal: Minor material amendment to application 18/500959/FULL for installation of four electric vehicle (EV) charging points. Demolition of an existing patio area and creation of four additional parking bays next to the petrol filling station shop. Decision: DNWTO
f. 19/501539/FULL – Land East Of Eyhorne Green House, Musket Lane, Hollingbourne
Proposal: Erection of single dwelling (Resubmission to 19/500310/FULL)
Decision: OBJECT (all Parish Councillors in agreement)
Reasons: The new build is so close to a “historic building of Kent” with a red plaque and the Parish Council has serious concerns over the access to the property as it is a narrow part of the road. There is also an intensification of buildings in this area. The Parish Council would recommend that this proposed development is brought to Planning Committee. Please also see 7.b. Chairman’s Report.

12. Environmental Committee Report –
a. Cllr A Marshall was happy to report that the Hollingbourne Village Litter Pick Day on Saturday, 23rd March 2019 was a great success with lots of willing volunteers attended to help out. It will be good to arrange a litter pick day again, possibly once every three months.
b. Fly-tipping was taking place on the motorway bridge at the entrance to the village and the details of the vehicle were reported to the Police.
c. Cllr J Cobbett attended a meeting together with other North Downs Parish Councillors, organised by Cllr Garten and the Maidstone BC Waste Crime Team Manager. The team’s activities in preventing and taking fly-tippers to court is very impressive. The Maidstone BC and Parish Councils intend to work close closely to stop fly-tipping in the North Downs in particular.

13. Finance Committee Report –
a. There is £28,628.95 in the Parish Council’s combined bank accounts as of the 2nd April 2019. The Parish Councillors authorised the cheques drawn by the Clerk.

14. Highways and Infrastructure Committee Report –
a. With regards to the issue of the specific ‘passing point’ in question along Pilgrim’s Way / Broad Street and particular residents have ongoing problems with access to their property Cllr O’Meara has had some emails from the homeowners. The correspondence has raised other thoughts and concerns over the necessity of the ‘passing point’, for instance was a stipulation made for its retention when planning was granted to change the residence into a private dwelling rather than an agricultural building. Cllr O’Meara suggested that a small white post be erected in the passing point may just do the trick and that she would contact KCC about this whilst Pilgrim’s Way is shut. All Councillors were in agreement with this idea.
b. The Speedwatch initiative will be discussed at the Parish Assembly and the Clerk has requested that the PCSO brings along some of the equipment to the event.
c. The Highways Agency spent two days cleaning the motorway embankment behind Cllr O’Meara and her neighbours property. Updates of works carried out of on the M20 is found on the village website. Please also see item 9.a.

15. Parks Committee Report – Cllr A Ward / Cllr A Marshall
a. With regards to the Millennium Green, the Parish Council is in the process of combining the current insurance policy it holds to cover the Green, but this will need to be dealt with by the current insurers as well. The hazard on the Green is predominately the pond which is at present ‘dry’, and the aim is to clear it of the excessive rhizome plants and then re-fill it. There is also a stream around the outer edge of the Green. Cllr Marshall has been in touch with Maidstone BC with regards to the Go Wild Project and has been advised that funding is not available through the project, but plenty of useful advice, which is most welcome.
b. The prevention of dog fouling notice needs to be re-erected on its post at the entrance of the Millennium Green and the Clerk will pursue this matter. An additional litter bin would be very useful at the entrance of the Green as well and Cllr Garten will enquire with the Maidstone BC whether this could be provided and how often it would be emptied. Cllr Garten will report back to the Clerk with regards to this matter.

16. Parish Assembly –
a. The Parish Assembly will be on Tuesday, 30th April 2019, 7.30 pm at the Village Hall, and everybody is welcome to attend. Cllr Gray is drawing up an agenda for the evening, which will include the Head of each Parish Council Committee giving a very brief update on their position.

17. Fête Sub-Committee Report – Cllr D Ardley & Cllr A Ward
a. The Fete meeting will be held in The Sugar Loaves PH, on Monday, 20th May 2019 at 8.00 pm, but before this time, on Saturday, 18th May 2019 at 10.00 am, there will be a maintenance day at the Cardwell Pavilion to check the condition of the gazebos, sports event equipment, etc. The Parish Council would be grateful for the help of volunteers from the village, particularly to help in running the barbecue, etc. Please let the Clerk know if you are interested in helping via pchollingbourne@gmail.com on 07856 180003, or talk to her at the school gate, and your help will be warmly welcomed.

18. Twinning Sub-Committee Report – Cllr J Cobbett – nothing to report at present.

Date of next meeting: Monday 13th May 2019, 7.30 pm, Cardwell Pavilion, Hollingbourne

Signed as a true record: Chairman:                                                                                                                               Date: