Given the UK Chief Medical Officers have now raised the coronavirus (COVID-19) risk to the UK from moderate to high, its only sensible that volunteers engaging in the Great British Spring Clean take extra hygiene precautions to prevent the spread of this, or any other, preventable illness.
Do not attend a clean-up if you feel unwell or are showing cold or flu like symptoms, stay home to protect yourself and others.
Keep Britain Tidy asks that you undertake your clean-up events in line with the advice being issued by Public Health England (PHE). In particular, participants are asked to use the following guidelines:
- Wear gloves during the clean-up at all times
- Wash your hands thoroughly for 20 seconds before and after your event
- Event organisers are advised to provide hand sanitiser for participants where possible or sign post to accessible hand washing facilities
- Clean and disinfect regularly touched objects, such as litter pickers, using your regular cleaning products
- Stay at least 2 metres (about 3 steps) away from other people whenever possible
Being part of the Great British Spring Clean is a wonderful way to show you care about your local environment but to have fun, as well as to make a difference, it is important to stay safe and take these simple precautions to make your event a success.
We will continue to monitor Government announcements and update our advice on this page as the situation evolves.