July 2019 Minutes.

The Minutes for the Hollingbourne Parish Council Meeting of 8th July 2019 that were approved at the Parish Council Meeting on 9th September 2019 in the Cardwell Pavilion.

Minutes of the meeting of Hollingbourne Parish Council held on Monday 8th July 2019, in the Cardwell Pavilion, Hollingbourne, commencing at 7.30 pm.

Present: Cllr A Ward (Chairman), Cllr J Cobbett, Cllr Dr S Bauer, Cllr D Ardley, Cllr A Marshall
and Cllr C O’Meara.
Attendance: Cllr P Garten (Maidstone BC), PCSO Daniel Genn, six members of the public and Mrs V Smith –Parish Clerk.

1. Apologies for absence: Cllr S Hulme (Vice-Chairman) – work commitments, Cllr M Gray (illness) and Cllr Mrs S Prendergast (KCC) – (meeting clash)

2. Declarations and Requests
Declaration of Changes to the Register of Interests – none; Declaration of Interest in items on the Agenda – none; Requests for Dispensations – none

3. Approval of minutes of last meeting (circulated prior to meeting)
It was resolved that the minutes of the meeting on 10th June 2019 are a true and accurate record of the meeting, except for the words ‘get motivated on’, which would be more appropriately stated as ‘develop a programme for’ the village Highways Plan in item 8.a. Chairman’s Report.

4. Matters Arising (not covered elsewhere on the agenda) – none
8c. The Hollingbourne Parish Council Mission Statement is in progress for the village website.
15e. Cllr A Ward agreed to contact the playground suppliers to obtain a suitable sign for the aerial runway with regards to the users age and weight restrictions, together with a price to service the equipment.

5. Christopher’s Village Shop (update) – Cllr J Cobbett
a. Following Christopher’s announcement at the June Parish Meeting about his decision to retire from running the village shop and closing the stores in early 2020, a lady within the village is keen to seek the residents’ interest in running the establishment as a Community Shop. As a result, she has kindly sent out questionnaires to every residence in the village with the view to setting up a database of interested persons willing to volunteer in helping out on the project. Christopher advised the Parish Council in June that he will be producing accounts for the shop and these will be necessary for advancing the idea of the Community Shop. Cllr Cobbett advised that the Plunkett Hall Trust can provide support in setting up Community Projects and once relevant information has been obtained their help can be investigated. UPDATE: Cllr Cobbett has approached the Chart Sutton Community Shop Volunteers and has obtained a contact for the Clerk to telephone regarding their experiences of setting up their establishment.
Action: The Clerk / Mr C Rudgard (accounts, etc)

6. War Memorial (Discrepancy of War Hero’s name on the War Memorial plaque) – Mr Barling and family members / Cllr A Ward
a. At the Parish Meeting the plaque at the war memorial was discussed, as there is a discrepancy on one of the War Hero’s names and Mr Barling’s Great Uncle’s name should be Harry Barling, not Henry Barling, according to his birth and death certificates. Following a meeting between Cllr Ward, the Royal British Legion and their regional representative, the Church Warden and the Clerk, it was agreed by the Parish Council that the name must be changed. The Parish Council is responsible for the upkeep of the war memorial and can only make a decision on amendments to the plaque. The matter of the name discrepancy on the Roll of Honour is a decision that can only be made by the Church and it is understood that changing the Roll requires a Faculty from the Diocese of Canterbury which could take some time. progress, involving the decision of much higher authorities within the Church. However, there is a brass plaque within the Church, which the War Hero’s brother had installed in the 1920’s, in the remembrance of Harry Barling, not Henry Barling. Cllr Ward proposed that the Parish Council is happy to instigate the change in name on the plaque, but stated that the Parish Council have not budgeted for the cost of these works. Cllr Garten, Maidstone BC is happy to help with the cost of the new plaque, together with the Parish Council but would also seek a contribution from Mr Barling’s family towards the costs. The Clerk has obtained a price for the works and financial details will be distributed shortly.

7. Police Report – (via email)
a. The report for the Hollingbourne and neighbouring Hucking area taken from www.e-watch.co , since the 9th June 2019 showed four crime reports, emanating from the M20, Junction 8 services and these being:
• Between 12.01 am on Sunday 9th June and 5.00 pm on Tuesday 25th June in M20, Junction 8, a trailer has been stolen from a car park.
• Between 12.01am on Tuesday, 11th June and 3.55pm on Friday 21st June in M20, Junction 8, a coach trailer has been stolen.
• Between 8.00pm on Friday 14th June and 9.10am on Saturday 15th June in M20, Junction 8. A vehicle has been broken into whilst left parked in a service area.
• On Sunday 16th June between 3.50am and 4.03am in M20, Junction 8. Person(s) have stolen items from the front seat of a vehicle.
b. The Police UK web site https://www.police.uk/kent/50/crime/+1VCkUQ/ advised that May 2019 figures for Hollingbourne showed that six crimes had taken place and one incident of anti-social behaviour:
• On or near Broad Street Hill – 1 x crime – Violence and sexual offences. The Police were unable to charge the suspect when the offence was reported and the crime is currently being investigated by the Police.
• M20, Junction 8 – 1 crime x Drugs (includes offences related to possession, supply and production), on the M20, Junction 8. The crime is currently being investigated by the Police;
• M20, Junction 8 – 3 x crime reports – Vehicle crime (including theft from or of a vehicle or interference with a vehicle) – Police investigation complete; no suspect identified but the crimes are still currently being investigated by the Police.
• M20, Junction 8 – 1 x report of anti-social behaviour (no details provided)
• On or near Greenway Court Road – 1 x crime – Violence and sexual offences (includes offences against the person such as common assaults, grievous bodily harm and sexual offences). The Police were unable to prosecute the suspect at the time of the offence being reported and the crime is currently being investigated by the Police.
c. The Parish Council also advised that on the 4th July the large round griddle and tripod which were wrought iron, together with wood which had been donated by the Leeds Castle the week before, had been stolen from the school field/playground fire pit area. Please can all village residents report suspicious activity within the school grounds to the Police if it is witnessed, as this is the second time that robbery from the school grounds has taken place and it cannot be tolerated.
d. PCSO Dan Genn also advised concerned villagers that if motorbikes are riding around fields in their locality and are causing a nuisance, the registration numbers should be forwarded onto the Police who will take appropriate action. The Parish Councillors also asked about whether there is a specific law about parking on pavements as this can be a problem, especially when you are trying to walk along the footpaths. PCSO Genn does not believe that the Police can take any action in this matter but driver courtesy should dictate whether it is safe to do so or not, as pavement parking can prevent pedestrians from using the footpaths safely. The Highway Code states on their website https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code/waiting-and-parking-238-to-252 that Rule 244 would not apply to Hollingbourne, when it quotes ‘You MUST NOT park partially or wholly on the pavement in London, and should not do so elsewhere unless signs permit it. Parking on the pavement can obstruct and seriously inconvenience pedestrians, people in wheelchairs or with visual impairments and people with prams or pushchairs’, however the principle behind the law would be advantageous for drivers within Hollingbourne village. Cllr O’Meara suggested that the installation of more bollards within the village may be added to the Highways Plan, to stop people from mounting the kerbs.
e. The Parish Council would like to urge villagers to contact the Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111 if they have information relating to crimes, or other concerns that they would like to anonymously supply to the Police. Crimestoppers is a charity which the Police use frequently. If you own a smart phone, the ‘app’ https://countryeye.co.uk/ is also a very convenient way of reporting matters and concerns to the police and the Parish Council would urge you to use this service.

8. Chairman’s Report –
a. Cllr Ward advised that the hedges and trees, usually emanating from private properties are starting to block the pavements within the village and the Clerk will write to the owners concerned to request their attention to these matters. The tree overhanging the pathway at the side entrance of the school will also need to be pruned back. Residents will also find on the village website a useful contact list with details of who to report environmental matters to. Alternatively, contact the Parish Clerk on pchollingbourne@gmail.com or 07856 180003 and she can assist you in this matter. Contact details for Cllr Ward are on the village website.
b. A local resident carried out a traffic survey in Upper Street on the 28th June 2019 between 4.10 pm and 6.10 pm, at the request of the Police, which resulted in the following findings and highlights the traffic issues that the village experiences: 4.10pm – 4.40pm – 210 Vehicles; 4.40pm – 5.10pm – 175 Vehicles;
5.10pm – 5.40pm – 219 Vehicles; 5.40pm – 6.10pm – 171 Vehicles. In Total 775 vehicles. Further details of its findings are on the village website page https://www.hollingbournepc.kentparishes.gov.uk/another-road-accident-emphasises-traffic-concerns-in-hollingbourne/ . Please see item 16 ‘Highways and Infrastructure’.
c. Cllr Ward has been advised by local residents that they are concerned that the Parish Council does not produce a record of their activities or a copy of the minutes in the Church and Village News magazine. This is because the Editor of the magazine has advised the Parish Council that there is not enough space within the magazine for the Minutes. The Parish Council has offered to buy more pages within the magazine to print the minutes, but this offer was declined by the All Saints’ Parochial Church Council who publish the Magazine. Additionally, the closing date for the Magazine is the 10th of the month which can be before the monthly Parish Council meeting on the second Monday of each month. It is important to note that the Parish Council’s website address is printed on the cover of the Village Magazine and that the Minutes can be read online and on paper upon application to the Clerk, on a Village Notice Board, or at the Village Shop. The Parish Council is very happy for the Editor to use the website for many of the informative reports and contact details within the magazine. An additional Notice Board is also on the Parish Council’s ‘wish list’ for the 2020/21 budget. The Clerk will happily place a copy of the minutes in the post to residents, or send them via email, please contact her in the methods stated in item 8a, and she will readily oblige.

9. Clerk’s Report
a. The white post at the top of Hollingbourne Hill has now been replaced and with help from Cllr Mrs S Prendergast, the KCC have kindly donated financially 50% of the cost of the goods.
b. The Clerk is meeting with a sign-writing contractor this week with regards to the correction of the sign-writing on the blue notice-board outside of the Cardwell Pavilion and the two signs at the entrance of the Millennium Green.
c. The Clerk and Cllr Ward are liaising with the regular contractors at the Cardwell Pavilion to ensure that work is carried out to an acceptable standard over the next few months. Action: The Clerk / Cllr Ward
d. The Clerk advised the Parish Councillors that she needs to be advised if their details change on their DPI (NOTIFICATION of Disclosable Pecuniary Interests) forms for the Maidstone BC. Updates will be made as required. Copies of the Parish Councillors aforesaid forms can be viewed on the Maidstone BC website as they are required in the public domain.
e. The Parish Council wants to promote the new Kent Fire & Rescue Service initiative to make the roads of Kent safer. Please see the link https://www.kent.fire-uk.org/news/news-releases/july-2019/kfrs-is-on-a-mission-to-make-kents-roads-safer/ to register your support and complete the survey.

10. Defibrillators – Cllr A Marshall
a. Cllr Marshall has developed a form to record the defibrillator checks carried out on the machines to monitor batteries, etc. The Clerk is in the process of obtaining additional first aid accessory packs to keep within the storage cases. The defibrillator at the school already has the first aid pack with it.

11. County Councillor’s Report – Cllr Mrs S Prendergast (Please see item 9.a. Clerk’s Report)

12. Borough Councillor’s Report – Cllr Patrik Garten
a. Cllr Garten advised that the Maidstone Borough Local Plan (Regulation 18) has been prepared for informal public consultation. A briefing is also taking place on the 22nd July at the Mercure Hotel which representatives from the local Parishes have been invited to, and members from Hollingbourne Parish Council will be in attendance. Councillors raised concerns why Borough Councillors would not be invited as well (subsequently Cllr Garten took up this concern with Maidstone BC officers and he will now be in attendance too). The consultation document considers the themes and key issues that the Local Plan Review will need to address. Consultation opens on 19th July and the Maidstone BC need to receive comments no later than 5pm on Monday 30th September. The Local Plan Review and supporting documents can be viewed and downloaded from the council’s website www.maidstone.gov.uk/localplanreview and is available for inspection at: Maidstone Link, King Street, Maidstone, ME15 6JQ – Monday, Tuesday, Thursday & Friday 09.00 to 16.30; Wednesday 10.00 to 16.30. Or in all libraries in Maidstone Borough during normal opening hours. Comments should be sent using the consultation portal https://maidstone-consult.objective.co.uk/portal/
Alternatively, the completed response form (www.maidstone.gov.uk/localplanreview) can be sent to Maidstone BC by email to ldf@maidstone.gov.uk, or by post to Strategic Planning, Maidstone Borough Council, Maidstone House, King Street, Maidstone, ME15 6JQ. This information has also been placed on the village website, link https://www.hollingbournepc.kentparishes.gov.uk/mbc-launch-public-consultation-on-the-local-plan/ .
b. Cllr Garten has also been in contact with the school following the robbery of the items and wood from around the fire pit area, to offer advice about security in the area and the provision of fire wood.
c. Please see items 13.b. and 13.g.

13. Planning Committee Report – Cllr O’Meara
a. 19/503225/FULL – Land On The Corner Of Upper Street, Hollingbourne Hill
Proposal: Demolition of existing building and erection of 2no. new dwellings with associated access and parking. Decision: OBJECT (all in favour) The reason being that extra traffic from the two new dwellings will exacerbate the bad situation in the Upper Street area with more vehicles.
b. 19/503038/NMAMD – Land East of Eyhorne Street (between Godfrey Hs / Claygate)
Proposal: Non-material amendment: Split plots 9-12 into a pair of semi-detached properties, with a 1m gap between plots 10 and 11 rather than a block of 4 houses as a terrace (original application ref: 16/508640/FULL). Previous application 19/502795/NMAMD. Decision: Permitted – Decision already made by the Planning Department before the Parish Meeting. Cllr Garten advised that this application had been permitted by Planning, and it had superseded the previous application 19/502795/NMAMD which had been rejected. The new application was seen by the Planning Department as a ‘minor amendment’ and therefore it could not be brought into a Committee meeting.
c. 19/502470/OUT – ‘White Heath’, Ashford Road, Hollingbourne
Proposal: Outline application for redevelopment of land to the west of White Heath, including demolition of existing buildings and erection of new 3 storey building to form a care home (Use Class C2) for residents requiring nursing, dementia and residential care, with new access, car parking, landscaped gardens and a separate refuse/recycling facility (Access, Appearance, Layout and Scale being sought). Modified access to White Heath. Decision: OBJECT (all in favour) The reasons being that firstly, the access to the building, to and from the Ashford Road would be hazardous due to the speed and congestion of the traffic in this area. Also, the Parish Councillors were concerned about the destruction of the views of the North Downs in this area by the building.
d. 19/502461/FULL – Pilgrim’s Garth, Pilgrim’s Way, Hollingbourne
Proposal: Erection of a two storey rear extension and ground floor side extension. Changes to fenestration. Decision: DNWTO – however the Parish Council would like to receive further information about fenestration alterations and their affect on local residents.
e. 19/502353/TCA – Hollingbourne Manor, Upper Street, Hollingbourne
Proposal: Conservation Area Notification – Crown Reduction of 5 x Irish Yew (T1 – T5) Height Apprx. 3.50-4.50m and Width 1.50m to be Reduced to Height 2m and Width 1.50m. Decision: DNWTO
f. 19/502988/FULL – 1 Harpswood, Hospital Road, Hollingbourne
Proposal: Proposed conversion of outbuilding to two storey annex accommodation to the main dwelling (Revised scheme to 19/501694/FULL) Decision: DNWTO (all in favour, but Cllr Cobbett abstained)

g. UPDATE: 19/502591/FULL – 23 Culpeper Close, Hollingbourne
Proposal: Part single storey, part two storey side extension.
Cllr Garten has advised that this application has been withdrawn due to concerns of the planners.

14. Environmental / Parks Committee Report –
a. Cllr Marshall has obtained two quotations for use of an excavator to empty the pond on Millennium Green, and the prices given are quite different in cost. A third quotation will be obtained so that the best value and quality is achieved in carrying out the works. The park will need to be closed whilst the works are taking place, and further updates on this matter will follow in due course. Action: Cllr Marshall

15. Finance Report –
a. There have been various expenses for the Parish Council in June 2019, and there is £29,796.64 in the Parish Council’s combined bank accounts as of the 2nd July 2019. The Parish Councillors authorised the cheques drawn by the Clerk.
b. Due to the gales and deluges of rain on the day of the fete, there was a lower turn out of visitors to the event and it is believed that this was why the Fete made a loss of £653.76 in 2019. The Parish Council have been reliably informed that charities at the Fete were successful in raising funds which is good news.

16. Highways and Infrastructure Committee Report –
a. Regular updates from Highways England with regards to works taking place on the M20 are put on the village website. Cllr Cobbett requested that the item Brexit (Operation Brock and other related Brexit matters) be placed on future Parish Meeting agendas.
b. Please see item 8.b. with regards to Upper Street highways issues. However, Cllr Ardley advised that the volume of traffic in Upper Street is not a reason for traffic calming. It has been recommended by the Police that the 30 mph signs are placed further up the Hollingbourne Hill (about 400 metres) so that they are seen sooner by road users before they enter the village. In the meantime, the vegetation should be cut back away from the existing signage and cleaned up to improve visibility.
c. Cllr O’Meara is progressing the matter of the specific ‘passing point’, its associated highways concerns and is in touch with the resident concerned.
d. Cllr Ardley said that he is looking at the Highway’s Improvement Plan and requires input from the Parish Council. The plan needs to consist of a map of the village highlighting what needs to be done and where. Throughout the village, it is obvious that the lines on the road need to be repainted and made clearer for road users. The Parish Councillors thought that it may also include the installation of the flashing speed sign at the top of the Upper Street, which is similar to the one near to Godfrey Meadow.

17. Speeding in the village – Cllr D Ardley
a. The Clerk will invite a member of the Police specifically linked to the Speedwatch initiative to the September Parish Meeting. Action: The Clerk

18. Fête Sub-Committee Report – Cllr D Ardley & Cllr A Ward
a. Please see item 15.b. A ‘wash-up’ meeting will be held in September 2019 for the fete, the time of which is to be confirmed (please look out for further information on the village website). The weather did not dampen the spirits of the 2019 fete attendees, even though they may have been literally soaked to the skin, however they look forward to a little more sunshine in 2020.

19. Twinning Sub-Committee Report – Cllr J Cobbett (nothing further to report – the Twinning Report will be removed from the Parish Meeting agendas until further notice).

20. Website (maintaining its future optimum quality) – nothing to report.

Date of next meeting: Monday 9th September 2019, 7.30 pm, Cardwell Pavilion, Hollingbourne

Signed as a true record: Chairman: Date: