March 2014 Minutes.

Minutes of the meeting of Hollingbourne Parish Council

held on Monday 10th March 2014 in the Cardwell Pavilion

commencing at 7.30pm

 Present:           Mr M Bedwell (Chairman)

Mr A Ward (Vice-Chairman)

Mr D Ardley

Dr S Bauer

Mr A Bennett

             and      Ms E Lawrence, Parish Clerk

 In attendance             Mrs D Parvin, Borough Councillor,

Mrs V Smith (Parish Clerk appointee) and five members of the public.


1.      Apologies for absence     Mrs J Whittle (clash of commitments)

Mr Vallins      (without apology, but received after the meeting)

Mr P Waite      (family commitment)

Mr J Cobbett   (preparing for early holiday departure)

 2.      Declarations and Requests

 Declaration of Changes to the Register of Interests   – none

Declaration of Interest in items on the Agenda          – Mr Bedwell, for Planning Application in Greenway Court Road, as the applicant is a neighbour.

Requests for Dispensations                                         – none

 3.      Mr Bedwell introduced and welcomed Mrs Vicki Smith to the meeting.  Mrs Smith will take over as Parish Clerk following a period of induction.

4.      Approval of minutes of last meeting  (Circulated prior to meeting)

 It was resolved that the minutes were a true and accurate record of the meeting and they were duly signed by the Chairman.


5.               Matters Arising (not covered elsewhere on the agenda)  Mr Bedwell welcomed the fact that that an application for the “Waterside Park” development had been refused by Maidstone Borough Council.  There remains the possibility of an appeal.  The Roxhill development may also be refused if there is any consistency.

Messrs Bennett and Waite had made a site visit to Chrismill Lane and found the neighbours to be supportive of the continued use of the site an emergency response and disaster recovery business. Better definition of the boundaries is required.

The Clerk reported that she had sought clarification from one of the Planning Officers at MBC the permission is not required for the Parish Council to extend the area it permits the Preschool to use as a children’s play area, providing the fencing is of a similar style and height.

 6.             Chairman’s Report     The Chairman had received enquiries regarding tree safety after the recent combination of high winds and torrential rain.  It was clarified that those with trees on private land must make their own arrangements for inspection.  Trees on amenity land belonging

 7.             to the Parish Council will need inspecting and tree surgery if necessary.  Deanne Cunningham was identified as the person with whom to liaise at MBC, and trees on a bridleway such as that near Target Cottage need to be discussed with KCC Action: Clerk.

Mr Bedwell had received a letter of complaint from the Pre-School regarding the state of the Pavilion as seen on Monday morning. Action: Mr Bedwell

The next meeting of the Parish Council will deal predominantly (if not exclusively) with Finance as the Council face a possible deficit if not in 2014/5, then almost certainly in the following year, with no proactive developments or improvements.

The golfing group who had received such extensive hospitality from their counterparts in Templeuve had met with the Chair of Finance, Mr Cobbett, the Chairman and Mr Bennett.  Although travel and other expenses had to date been met by those participating, it was felt that some community contribution could be made to provide reciprocal hospitality.  Mr Bedwell has not drawn his entitlement to a Chairman’s allowance since becoming Chairman in May 2008.

It was resolved to grant £200 as a one-off contribution for the exchange.

Mr Bedwell re-enforced that in future all groups wishing to conduct twinning activities should be self funding and he was sure his fellow Councillors would do whatever thet were able to support fund-raising activities to ensure the continued success and enjoyment of the emerging relationship with the residents of Templeuve.

There have been complaints at the parking on Eyhorne Street and at the end of Culpeper during school setdown and pickup times.  This often meant that other road users were forced to proceed in a dangerous manner (i.e. no line of sight for oncoming traffic).  Action: Mr Bennett to write to the school headteacher asking for a letter to go out from the school.  The Clerk to bring to the attention of PCSO Rowley.

 8.             Crime Report                       None received.  Action: Clerk to contact. 

 9.             Clerk’s Report                     All matters covered elsewhere.

 10.         County Councillor Report        The Clerk reported that Mrs Whittle has advised:

 A find-and-fix operation to repair potholes is well underway, with sub-contractors employed to deal with the substantial backlog.  KCC has agreed to make a £91m saving and to raise council tax by 1.99% (£10m raised for 2014/15.  2015/16 will be even harder.

 11.         Borough  Councillor Report     Mrs Parvin described the difference between the funding available to France for twinning activities, Maidstone being twinned with Beauvais.


 12.         Planning Report          Mr Bennett reported on a meeting with a representative from SouthEast Design attended by himself, the Chairman and Clerk.  Southeast Design have been appointed by Maidstone Borough Council to consult with those Parishes most affected by the Local Development Framework and MBCs proposals for additional housing targets to meet government objectives. 

 MA/14/0200 and 2001              Do not wish to object

Courtyard Studios

Hollingbourne House



Barn at                                       Wish to approve         

Greenway Court Farm


The Willows                              Do not wish to object

79 Eyhorne Street



13.         Environmental Report            Dr Bauer commented on the state of the road surface in general and on the increasing number and worsening of potholes in particular.

The quest for a replacement sign has produced a possibility from Premier Signs, at an agreed cost of £750.  The old sign, destined to be erected at or near the Pilgrims way end of the village, is required for a possible mould. The Clerk showed the extensively repaired and refurbished sign undertaken by Mr Cheeseman.  The Members were delighted with the result.  It was noted that a supporting block should be installed on the mounting post in order that the weight of the sign is not taken entirely by the mounting screws, and that maintenance should be undertaken by the application at least annually by application/s of Danish Oil.  Mr Cheeseman was publically thanked and it was resolved to meet his expenditure of £38.00.

Mr Ardley commented on the fading into non existence of the yellow lines in the village. If they are to be re-painted, a consultation would be welcomed on where best to designate no parking in view of the absence of a public car park and the continued need to slow down vehicular traffic through the village, parked cars being one method.


14.         Finance Report


It was resolved that the cheques should be signed, a list of cheques to be issued for expenditure having been circulated prior to the meeting.


15.          Parks Report        Mr Ward encouraged anyone with an interest or opinion on the Millennium     Green to get involved in whatever way they are able.  He reiterated that the pond expert from MBC had inspected the pond on the Green and confirmed it to be in good health, in spite of the overgrown appearance.  Cutting back might enhance the visual appearance but would regrow extremely quickly.

The Clerk related the cost of three quotes obtained to replace the fencing at the Greenway Court Road end of the Field.  The work will be undertaken by Mr Offen, who installed the replacement bench seat on the A20.


16.         Items for Information   None





Date of next meeting          (15 April 2014, but) changed to

                                                       16 April 2014






Signed as a true record: