May 2011 Parish Council Meeting, Annual General Meeting, and Annual Parish Assembly.

Minutes of the meeting of Hollingbourne Parish Council AGM and monthly meeting held on 10th May 2011 in the Village Hall at 6.00pm


Present:   Mr Bedwell (Chairman),Dr S Bauer, Mr J Cobbett, Mrs. S O’Connell, Mr F Stephenson, Mr A Ward (Vice-Chairman), Mr A Williams.

Also in attendance: Mrs J Whittle (County Councillor), Ms E Lawrence (Clerk) and 5 members of the public.


a)    The election of officers:  The Clerk had not received any nominations.  Mr Bedwell offered to stand again, and was duly elected as Chairman, unanimously and unopposed.

b)    Mr Ward stood for Vice chairman and was duly elected unanimously and unopposed.

c)    The following members retained their positions as Chairs of Committees as follows:

i)     Dr S Bauer – Environment

ii)    Mr J Cobbett – Finance

iii)   Mr F Stephenson – Planning

iv)   Mr A Ward – Parks

d)    Mrs O’Connell agreed to join the Environment Committee.

e)    Short reports were given by the Committee Chairmen on the past years activities:

i)     Mr J Cobbett – Finance.  The spending for the past year amounted to £22,000.  There was no increase in the precept, but the Concurrent functions grant made by MBC is to be cut by 30% next year, which would inevitably mean drawing on reserves.

ii)    Mr F Stephenson – Planning.  There have been 23 planning applications, comprised of 21 for building and 2 for trees.  Of these, the Parish Council had made no objection to 18, and refused 5.  All applications had been granted by MBC.

iii)   Dr S Bauer/Mr A Williams – Environment.  There has been an increase in the number of flytipping incidents, with some taking an unacceptable length of time to be cleared by MBC.  Footpaths and access have been greatly improved overall, with the removal of stiles and instillation of gates.  Kent Highways will be approached to resurface the road after the gas mains installation through Eyhorne Street, and not simply patch repair the entire length of the road.

iv)   Mr A Ward – Parks.  The Cardwell Pavilion remains well used by the Pre-School and Brownies, as well as other casual users. The building has had works to ensure it complies with statutory requirements, especially with regards to gas and electricity supplies.  The Lance Memorial Field is also popular both for its football and playground use.  Work on the Millennium Green has been undertaken to provide a sensory garden and the pathways improved.  Mr Ward expressed thanks to Mr Barry Smith for his continued efforts in mowing the Green.



Hollingbourne Parish Council Meeting May 2011

1.           Apologies for absence    Mr G Bryan, work commitment

2.                            Declaration of Interests and amendments to Register of Interests

Mr Bedwell declared an interest in planning application MA/11/0514, being a close neighbour of the applicant.  Mr Stephenson declared an interest in application MA/11/0537, being known to the applicant in a personal capacity.

There were no amendments to the Register of Interests.

3.          Approval of minutes of last meeting

It was resolved that the minutes were a true and accurate record of the meeting and that they should be accepted and were duly signed.

4.        Matters Arising      

×             Further electrical work has been completed at the Cardwell Pavilion.

×             Mr Ward was expecting to hear if a group undertaking a community project as a team-building exercise would help with further work to the Millennium Green

×             Traps to be set at the Pavilion as there is evidence of rodent infestation.

5.         Chairman’s Report

The main concern of nearly every resident is the current road closure, with the vast majority being dissatisfied with the road signage, which has been totally confusing, and the apparent lack of speed at which the work is being undertaken.  Mr Bedwell thanked Dr Bauer for her prompt action regarding extra road signs.  Mr Cobbett had worked hard at negotiating with the contractors and gas company, especially pointing out the cash costs to the village as a whole. 

6.         Crime Report  none received

7.         Clerks report The Clerk had received correspondence regarding

·         the state of play regarding the gas mains work (to reply) from Christopher Rudgard

·         the behaviour of some members of Football Clubs using the LM Field, unauthorised use of the LM Field and quadbiking events from Mrs Dodds. (already replied)

·         the behaviour of a council member.   A letter of complaint had been sent by Mr J A Boyd following an altercation between Messrs Boyd and Williams after a recent meeting of the Planning Committee of MBC.  Whilst definitely not condoning any form of abuse, whether physical or verbal, the Parish Council did not consider this a matter for them to deal with as Mr Williams had attended the meeting in a personal capacity and had not represented the Council on this occasion.  Action: Clerk to write.




8.         County Councillors Report Mrs Whittle reassured all present that she is very aware of the situation regarding the road closure and will be taking the matter up with the Director of Highways, seeing if more workforce people are required to get the job done more quickly and to ensure all reasonable steps are taken to leave the road in good order when the work is finished.

9.         Borough Councillor Report          Nil received


10.      Finance Report  It was resolved to approve the expenditure (previously circulated) and the cheques were duly signed.  

11.      Planning Report


Change of use and conversion of barn to a live/work unit



ME17 1QD

Do not wish to object


Erection of a single storey side extension and a two storey rear extension


 ME17 1TS

Do not wish to object


An application for conservation area consent for the demolition of existing


ME17 1TS

Do not wish to object


12.      Parks Report   Mr Ward reported that the accounts for the Millennium Green were finalised and application now to be made to the Charities Commission to re-register.  Item to be added to the agenda for the next meeting.  The Green will need to be included in the Asset Register and added to the Council’s insurance policy. Action:Clerk

14.      Environment report

Dr Bauer reiterated the need for the road to be properly and fully resurfaced following the gas works.  MBC to be contacted yet again re the spoil dumped at the gateway to the land alongside Station road (the bus having been parked in the gateway when MBC came to remove the rubbish).  The steps to the gateway on the corner of Greenway Court Road require attention.  More wardens for the countryside Access scheme are required.

14       Items for information         

Date of next meeting
Monday, 13th June at 7.30pm in the Cardwell Pavilion

Signed as a true record: