September 2018 Minutes.

The Minutes of the Hollingbourne Parish Council Meeting of 10th September 2018 that were approved at the Parish Council Meeting on 8th October 2018.

Minutes of the meeting of Hollingbourne Parish Council monthly meeting held on Monday 10th September 2018, in the Cardwell Pavilion, Hollingbourne, commencing at 7.30 pm.


Present:          Mr A Ward (Chairman), Cllr D Ardley, Cllr A Bennett, Cllr Ms A Marshall & Cllr M Gray


In attendance:   Cllr Mrs Shellina Prendergast (KCC), Cllr Patrik Garten (MBC), PCSO Daniel Genn (very briefly due to work commitments), one Hollingbourne Meadows Trust Representative, one member of the Public and Mrs V. Smith – Parish Clerk.


  1. Apologies for absence: Cllr J Cobbett (clash of meetings), Cllr S Bauer (healthcare commitments) and

Cllr S Hulme (work commitments).


  1. Declarations and Requests

Declaration of Changes to the Register of Interests – none; Declaration of Interest in items on the Agenda – none; Requests for Dispensations – none


  1. Approval of minutes of last meeting (circulated prior to meeting)

It was resolved that the minutes of the meeting on 9th July 2018 are a true and accurate record of the meeting.


  1. Matters Arising (not covered elsewhere on the agenda) – none

5f.   Cllr A Ward has assisted the Clerk in addressing the correct payment in her wages, according to Local Government increases and KALC.

5j.   The Clerk has liaised with Cllr J Cobbett with regards to website training and this is taking place.


  1. Police Report –
  2. There have been no crime reports generated in the village. However, there have been various incidents in neighbouring villages of sheds and outhouses being broken into and tools stolen.  A criminal was also caught trying to break into a residential property in Hucking, but he quickly drove off when challenged by the neighbour.  With this in mind, please keep all buildings carefully secured and keep valuable items out of the view of would be thieves.  If you have security alarms and cameras keep them well maintained as they will deter crime.
  3. The Parish Council would like to urge villagers to contact the Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111 if they have information relating to crimes, or other concerns that they would like to anonymously supply to the Police. Crimestoppers is a charity which the Police use frequently.  If you own a smart phone, the ‘app’ is also a very convenient way of reporting matters and concerns to the police and the Parish Council would urge you to use this service.
  4. The Police Surgery event which took place in August 2018, 7.00 pm, at The Cardwell Pavilion was a success. PCSO Dan Genn is keen to liaise with the local residents giving advice and listening to concerns.  Please keep an eye on the village notice-boards / website with details of the next event due in October 2018.
  5. The Clerk will find out what the Police can do with regards to speeding and inconsiderate parking around the school. However, the Clerk is aware that PCSO Genn regularly advises the parents about safe parking outside of the school at busy times.


  1.  Chairman’s Report – Cllr A Ward
  2. The Parish Council will be very sad to see Mr Dave Skinner and his family move from Hollingbourne. They have been an important part of the village for around forty years and the Clerk will miss Dave’s cheery wave and smile when she ventures along Eyhorne Street.  Dave has also helped maintain the verges and children’s playground and has always been willing to go the extra mile in preparations for the village fetes.  The Parish Councillors would like to sincerely thank him for all of the support that he has given to the Parish Council over the years and wish him well in his new home.
  3. Cllr Ward is to initially contact Fernham Homes, the developer building houses between Godfrey House and Claygate to see if they could sponsor the Parish Council in purchasing some bench seats for the village. The Parish Council have two benches ‘ear-marked’ from the Maidstone BC, but additional seating is required.


  1. Clerk’s Report – including Cardwell bookings and maintenance
  2. The Clerk will contact the Maidstone BC with regards to getting the bin in the play-ground emptied more frequently. At present, she is aware that the Parish Council cleaning contractor empties the bin regularly, but it still overflows.  The Clerk is pursuing quotations with regards to tidying up the area.
  3. The Clerk will contact the tree-surgeon who removed the dead tree on Tanyard Green to bore out the stump so that it is not a ‘trip hazard’. Please see item 12.d.
  4. The Clerk has received an email from a company enquiring whether a textile bank can be placed on the Parish Council land with their offer of paying for the rental of the land. The Parish Council feel that although  it is a good idea in principle, from past experience the banks just attract fly-tipping which the Parish Council would then need to pay to have removed.
  5. The Clerk has received an email from the Church with regards to having a table within the Church at the Remembrance Service, 11th November, with flowers or artefacts on show specifically from the Parish Council. This item will be placed on the agenda for the next Parish Meeting, 8th October 2018 for further consideration.


  1. County Councillor’s Report – Cllr Mrs S Prendergast
  2. Cllr Prendergast strongly recommends that a Highways Plan be formed by the Parish Council once the results of the speed survey have been collated. The Plan can highlight whether further speed restrictions are necessary within the village and if the ‘Speed Watch’ initiative is required to be run by volunteers.  There is an innovative traffic light system in Lenham which ‘senses’ vehicles approaching via wire embedded in the road, and it therefore only operates as and when required, which could be another method of slowing traffic down and avoiding ‘congestion’.  Cllr Prendergast also reiterated that although the KCC could be approached for financial help with special requests, the Parish Council would need to fund the majority of the highway works, if they are required, following the results of the speed survey.
  3. The Waste Disposal Consultation has been distributed to the Parish Councils today. The KCC Waste Management is seeking views on the proposal to implement a charging policy for waste materials including soil, rubble, hardcore and plasterboard delivered to Household Waste Recycling Centres (HWRCs).  Consultation documents are found at and the consultation is live between 6th September and the 1st November 2018.
  4. A decision of the Swanton Farm, Bicknor (18/501312/FULL) planning application was deferred at the Planning Committee meeting of the 6th September 2018, but it is advisable that the Parish Council attend the next meeting when the item is on the agenda to put their objections across regarding HGV traffic.


  1. Borough Councillor’s Report – Cllr Patrik Garten
  2. Cllr P Garten fed back to the Parish Council information about the MBC Strategic Planning Committee, specifically regarding Swanton Farm, Bicknor. The transport planning consultants considering this application are investigating different routes which could be used to access the farm, avoiding Hollingbourne.  However, a 12-tonne weight limit could be placed on vehicles driving through Hollingbourne on heritage and conservation grounds.  Vehicles over twelve tonnes could potentially damage the foundations of listed buildings, if they should have foundations at all.  This stipulation would also be put upon the Highways Plan.  Please see item 10.c.
  3. A S106 legal agreement for the application at Woodcut Farm (Junction 8), ref. 17/502331/OUT,has been drawn up. The applicant formally withdrew their appeal at the planning tribunal. The outline approval by committee from last November is the one, which will now proceed.
  4. Please see Cllr Garten’s latest newsletter on the Parish website and current Consultations can be found at:


  1. GDPR – General Data Protection Regulation
  2. The Clerk is progressing with Data Protection procedures within Parish Council. It was agreed by the Parish Councillors present that they are to be contacted by email via the Clerk’s email address which is .  The names and mobile numbers should be the only contact information on the Parish Council website for the Parish Councillors.


  1. Planning Committee Report – Cllr A Bennett
  2. 18/504231/TCA– Six Bells, Upper Street, Hollingbourne

Proposal:  Conservation area consent to reduce height of one Holly tree by approximately 2 feet & prune sides.


  1. 18/504217/TCA– The Old Vicarage, Upper Street, Hollingbourne

Proposal:  Conservation area notification for the 50% reduction of two Poplars to prevent buttress swelling and root expansion to protect boundary wall from structural pressure and damage.  Fell one Walnut tree – due to significant structural decay – with cavities showing in one stem and flaking of bark all over.  Due to the lean and proximity to children’s play area it will fall in this direction so removal by section felling whole tree is the safest option.  A Walnut tree will be replanted in the same area.


  1. 18/504180/FULL – Hollingbourne Property Services Ltd, Eyhorne Green, Musket Lane

Proposal:  Demolition of existing buildings and erection of two dwellings on remaining part of builder’s yard.

Decision:  The comments deadline date of the 3rd October had passed, but Cllr A Bennett recommended that the Parish Council would have agreed ‘do not wish to object’.

  1. 18/503682/SUB – Land East of Eyhorne Street (between Godfrey House and Claygate)

Proposal:  Submission of details pursuant to condition 4 (site investigation), condition 5 (external materials), condition 9 (reptile mitigation) and condition 10 (electric charging points) for planning permission 16/508640/FULL.  Decision:  DO NOT WISH TO OBJECT

  1. 18/503557/NMAMD – Land East of Eyhorne Street (between Godfrey House and Claygate)

Proposal:  Non-material amendment for planning permission 16/508640/FULL – front elevation alteration to the G-type house plots 2, 4-7.  Decision:  DO NOT WISH TO OBJECT

  1. 18/504341/SUB – Land East of Eyhorne Street (between Godfrey House and Claygate)

Proposal:  Submission of Details to Discharge Condition 2 and 3 (Drainage) Condition 6 (Landscaping) and Condition 12 (Slab Levels) Subject to 16/508640/FULL

Decision:  Concerns were previously raised by the Parish Council over the drainage conditions in place for the proposed development.  Cllr A Bennett will make further investigations into this planning application before a decision is made by the Parish Council.

  1. 18/504541/PNEXT – 2 Tilefields, Hollingbourne

Proposal:  Prior notification for a proposed single storey rear extension which a, extends by 3.6 metres beyond the rear wall of the original dwelling; b, has a maximum height of 2.55 metres from the natural ground level; c, has a height of 2.55 metres at the eaves from the natural ground level.


  1. 18/504483/LAWPRO – 2 Tilefields, Hollingbourne

            Proposal:  Lawful development certificate for enlargement of existing side dormer.

Decision:  This notification was for the Parish Council’s information only.

  1. 18/502003/FULL & 18/501600/FULL: The Oast House, Pilgrim’s Way, Hollingbourne

Update:  The accommodation of two Shepherd’s Huts (18/502003/FULL) providing holiday let accommodation has been granted by the Planning Department, however, the application (18/501600/FULL) has been withdrawn.  Cllr P Garten has advised the occupiers of The Oast House and their neighbours to meet on neutral territory, for example, The Cardwell Pavilion, to discuss any future planning applications for the property to repair relationships and avoid conflict.


  1. Environmental Committee Report – Cllr Dr S Bauer
  2. Local events in neighbouring villages often involve loud firework displays which distress pets and their owners. Fireworks used to be expected three or four times a year, Bonfire Night, New Year’s Eve, etc, but now displays are held, for many, far too often.  Cllr Garten suggested that the Maidstone BC Licensing department be contacted about the matter.  The Licence Holder responsible for the displays will then have to meet certain requirements when their licence is renewed, for example, the type of fireworks used and the regularity of events.  A temporary event licence is only valid for up to fifteen events per annum and fireworks are not displayed after 11.00 pm.  The noise caused by the fireworks would be reported through the Environmental Health team at Maidstone BC.  The Clerk will write to the fireworks organisers expressing the concerns discussed at the meeting and seek a means of warning the public in the village before events take place.  Action:  The Clerk
  3. The Parish Council have been invited to attend the Grand Opening of the Project 100 organised by the Hollingbourne Meadows Trust on Sunday, 11th November 2018 at 2 pm on the Culpeper Meadow. Reverend Paul Kite will conduct a service of dedication, and the Mayor will be in attendance, together with the Royal British Legion, Women’s Institute, Scouts and various other organisations.
  4. The dead tree on Tanyard Green has been removed and the Clerk is making arrangements with the Tree Surgeon to have the stump of the tree ‘bored out’. Enquiries are being made as to a suitable tree replacement.  Action:  Cllr A Marshall / The Clerk
  5. The KCC and Highways England continue debate following the closure of the Operation Stack Solutions Consultation. However, we can be sure that whatever decision is made about the positioning of the lorry holding areas, it will be a headache for all of those concerned.  More details can be found on .


  1. Finance Committee Report – Cllr J Cobbett
  2. There is £45,218.65 in the Parish Council’s combined bank accounts. Cllr D Ardley authorised the cheques drawn by the Clerk.
  3. Another Finance Committee Meeting will be arranged when the Clerk has gathered prices for the proposals for the 2019/20 budget which may include two notice-boards, a defibrillator and its storage cabinet, seating benches, additional speed signs, adult outdoor exercise equipment and the cost of a Volunteer Support Warden (shared with a neighbouring village). Action:  The Clerk
  4. The End of Year external audit report for 2017/18 has been returned to the Parish Clerk and the copy of the report placed on the website together with notice of the audit completion. The Parish Council’s Internal Auditor, who has kindly given of his free time for many years to assist the Clerk has now retired from this post.  The Parish Council would like to thank him very much for all of his hard work and support.  Please contact the Parish Clerk on or 07856 180003 if you would like to assist in this way, as it is a very interesting role.
  5. The Clerk will pursue the provision of the defibrillator from Kent Fire Service for the village.


  1. Highways and Infrastructure Committee Report – Cllr D Ardley
  2. Cllr D Ardley advised that the speed survey is soon to take place within the village and then a detailed report can be obtained of the speed, number of type of vehicles are driving through Hollingbourne. A letter has been received from a villager who has also been in liaison with the KCC over traffic issues within the village and who is keen to volunteer for the Speed Watch initiative if it is required following the results gathered from the speed survey.


  1. Parks Committee Report – Cllr A Marshall / Cllr A Ward
  2. Cllr Marshall has made enquiries into the cleaning of the pond in the Millennium Green Park. A helpful member of the village holds an aquatic licence and is therefore able to assist in applying the pond cleaner.   The pond is void of fish and is dry, however it is full with invasive rhizome plants and this is the reason why the pond needs to be cleaned out so thoroughly.


  1. Fête Sub-Committee Report – Cllr D Ardley & Cllr A Ward

A finalising meeting will be arranged for this year’s fete, and a new date set for 2019.  The Clerk will have the exact figures for the Parish Council’s fete income for the October Parish Meeting.


  1. Twinning Sub-Committee Report – Cllr J Cobbett – nothing to report.



Date of next meeting: Monday 8th October 2018, 7.30 pm, Cardwell Pavilion, Hollingbourne




Signed as a true record:                       Chairman:                                      Date: